Erica's Reviews > Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front

Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal by Joel Salatin

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: farming-gardening

A fantastic tirade on bureaucracy and its systematic attempt to eradicate small business. I completely feel for Joel Salatin.

My parents have had many similar experiences working with various cities, counties and state agencies on trying to build houses (they are general contractors). Of course, its Paul Allen who gets tax breaks and zoning variances, but if my parents want to build affordable housing, heaven forbid, lets pile on the fees! (Then people wonder why housing in the Seattle area is so expensive).

Even I have had my fair share of brushes with the authoritarian, whimsical, awful City of Shoreline. I wanted to do a lot line adjustment for my already 2 legal lot piece of property. Not for development or anything, but so I could pull equity out of my home and use it to refinance my house. After taking $500 in "fees" and making me do a stream and wetlands survey (also not cheap), I was told that the City needed more funding and that I would have to do a more costly short-plat if I wanted the results I needed. I had to give up at this point in time as I couldn't afford to do the short-plat.

I think I am just bitter.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal.