Deb 's Reviews > A Drowned Maiden's Hair

A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz

Jan 24, 09

bookshelves: 2009-books-read, middle-school-kids-ya-books
Read in January, 2009

As I was reading this novel at school, one of my 6th grade girls stopped by my chair and gushed, "Oh I LOVED this book! It was SO good!" She is an avid reader, and is truly gifted in the areas of reading and language arts. I was still at the beginning of the book so I just said, I'd let her know how I liked it when I was done.

I'd like to say I loved it too. I can't say that. It was only okay as far as I was concerned. But I can see the appeal for some of my readers. The author bills it as a melodrama, and that is certainly what it is. It's 1908-1909 and Maudy is an orphan in the cliched bleak orphanage. She's the girl who's always in trouble, not pretty in the classic sense, and a bit of a rebel. She is adopted by 3 spinster sisters who turn out to be spiritualists and are looking for a young girl to assist them in the "family business." Maudy is glad to be away from the orphanage, and is enjoying a somewhat luxurious life, but is puzzled about why she has to be a "secret daughter" and is concerned a bit about what she's eventually asked to do. This novel has all the ingredients of a melodrama, and the author does a nice job of using them all. I think that this book will appeal to those stronger adolescent readers with a leaning towards books like "The Secret Garden" and "The Little Princess". I think that if I had read this book as a 12 year old, I would have gushed over it too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Drowned Maiden's Hair.