Stephanie's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Feb 25, 09

bookshelves: graduate-school
Read in February, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Ha! You poor thing.

Stephanie Rachel wrote: "Ha! You poor thing. "

Actually...now that I am finished... I have to say I think it's an incredible work. It was on no level pleasurable to read, but the way the story is told is simply astounding. So I have to recant my earlier 'Faulkner is like sawdust' stance. It's actually an amazing novel.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I am glad you are recanting on the Faulkner in general, but the short of it is - if it isn't pleasurable to read, that is a huge detractor for me. This is the one book in the whole world that I'd actually never read again, even though the story was a good one.

I do love Faulkner, though. Have you read "The Reivers?" That is probably my favorite of all his works.

Stephanie Rachel wrote: "I am glad you are recanting on the Faulkner in general, but the short of it is - if it isn't pleasurable to read, that is a huge detractor for me. This is the one book in the whole world that I'd a..."

I haven't--this is the only Faulkner I've read that wasn't a short story. Sanctuary is up next though.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Well, then I am officially recommending "The Reivers."