xnera's Reviews > Ironside

U 50x66
Aug 11, 07

liked it
Read in August, 2007

Ironside is the third book in Holly Black's Modern Faery series. I remember quite liking Tithe, enough that I bought Valiant when it came out in hardcover, which I also enjoyed, though not as much as the first. The world Black creates is intriguing. It's dark and gritty--these faeries ain't no Tinkerbell. In times it can almost feel too dark and disturbing, as the characters do their best to cause pain to others. There's always the bit of romance to offset the grittiness, though, and in fact the touches of romance are my favorite parts of the series.

Ironside is a perfectly capable book. It continually moves forward at a good pace, although a bit clumsily at times, especially in the segues. I found mostly having just a bit of confusion over what happened during these times before I was able to pick up the plot again. My biggest problem with the book, however, is that it failed to completely engage me. Why, I can't say for certain, but I had a sense that I was reading [b]about[/b] the characters, rather than living out their adventures with them. It's as if the book didn't get that one final polish that would make it shine.

Still, it's a good story, and I did enjoy it. I plan on reading any subsequent books that come out, although I will probably wait for the paperbacks.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironside.