fooloveratook 's Reviews > Auracle

Auracle by Gina Rosati

Oct 25, 12

Read from October 24 to 25, 2012

3.5 rating

Even after reading the synopsis for AURACLE, I still didn't quite know what to expect. I've read less than a handful of stories about astral projection and since this is a shorter book I didn't know how this aspect was going to tie into the plot. The last astral projection read I can recall is STRANGER WITH MY FACE by Lois Duncan, and there's no question that it's a dark, disturbing story. I would say that AURACLE is definitely a lighter read, though not fully lighthearted. It has a few issues incorporated to keep it from being fluffy, not to mention the fact that there's a death and ensuing murder trial, but it still fosters a light tone that keeps the book friendly and fun.

There's not much of a point to AURACLE. Nothing to really take away from it, so if that's what you're going for then AURACLE wouldn't be something you'd enjoy. I feel like Rosati had a bunch of things working under the surface, but they still felt mostly surface. The issues didn't make me feel uncomfortable, disturbed, touched. They were just small pieces of the characters we get to know over a relatively short time. The plot has enough thrills to make the book entertaining to read, and there are some definite perks to having an astral projecting main character who's totally jazzed about her ability. Anna has a humorous, fun, teen-friendly voice that compelled me to keep turning the pages fairly quickly.

However, I think the highlight of AURACLE, for me, is the romance. If you do it right, then the best friend romance never gets tired or dull. As best friends, Kei and Anna really know everything about each other and it warmed my heart every time either one of them did something to make it clear just how naturally embedded they are in each other's lives. It's easily noticeable when Anna picks a song from the playlist on Kei's iPod geared toward her tastes out of bunch of heavy metal, when Kei knows where to find her epi in case of an allergic reaction, when Anna helps out with his little sister and subjects herself to torturous role playing via Barbie dolls. Kei and Anna are an interesting enough pair separately to make their chemistry together sweet and stirring. It has some awkwardness, some adorable fumbling, and a tinge of intensity to give it a hint of sexy. I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't more!

Overall, I had fun with this book and enjoyed Gina's writing and characterization more than enough to have had a good time reading AURACLE.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Auracle.

10/24/2012 page 12
10/24/2012 page 26
8.0% "Too funny."
10/24/2012 page 43
14.0% "They're kind of really adorable." 3 comments
10/25/2012 page 304
100.0% "I liked the romance the best."
show 2 hidden updates…