Jenifer's Reviews > Kept

Kept by Shawntelle Madison

Nov 21, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley, paranormal, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy
Read from October 24 to 25, 2012

When I accepted this book as a review copy, I didn't realize it was the second in a series. I'm glad that I didn't know that because I might not have accepted it otherwise and I would have missed a fun read.

With urban fantasy being such a hot genre right now, I've read countless novels with vampires and werewolves. This is the first one that I've read where the main character/werewolf suffers from anxiety and OCD. I loved how Shawntelle used humor to humanize her werewolf heroine, Natalya, through her OCD. Kept has some of the most memorable characters that I've read about in long time, like a mermaid who was afraid of the water, a succubus with relationship problems and a dwarf with low self-esteem due being tall.

I love that there is probably a huge demographic of readers out there with anxiety issues that will actually be able to see themselves in the main character of this book, (well aside from the whole werewolf aspect). There was so much that I liked about this book. As a paranormal romance/ urban fantasy, it was refreshing. Natalya was a bit whiny at times but I liked how she would whine but then face her fear to accomplish whatever needed to be done.

If you are a fan of urban fantasy, I definitely think this series is worth a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kept.