Nikki Mutch's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Oct 24, 2012

bookshelves: favorite-books-of-all-time
Recommended to Nikki by: Tracy van Straaten
Read in October, 2012

I loved this book. No, that isn't strong enough...I ADORED this book. Nope, still not really the way I feel about ELEANOR & PARK. Hmmm...how about THIS BOOK IS GOING IN MY TOP TEN FAVORITE BOOKS EVER! Really and truly it is. I feel like this book has been written for me. And I don't want to share it with anyone, and yet I want to share it with everyone. So, if you didn't like it, please do not come to me to debate its merits or ask WHY I loved it as much as I do. I won't answer you and, no matter who you are, you may become dead to me.

ELEANOR & PARK takes place in 1986, but it so has a timeless quality to it...you could take out all the pop culture references, substitute pop culture references from any time, and this book would still be wonderful. Because it does take place in 1986, in Omaha NE, with two 15 year old protagonists, this is MY perfect book. I was 15 in 1986. And I lived in Cheyenne WY. If there was ever a big small town like Cheyenne, it is the bigger small town of Omaha.

This book is also a story of first love, but it is much, much more than a romance. I feel like this might be the voice of my generation. I hope all the other 40-somethings who read it (and you all MUST)love it as truly and deeply as I do.

ELEANOR & PARK book held so much meaning for me--I'm part Eleanor, part Park, part me--and explained so much of my life to me in so many unexpected ways...ways that are way too personal to discuss on Goodreads, but maybe, if my book group serves enough wine that week...
SO here is what I will say: ELEANOR & PARK is perfect...at least for me. I sobbed for the last 50 pages or so, partly because I knew that I would be leaving them soon enough, when I reached the last page, and I just didn't want to. I still don't want to. I want to go back. I want to live in that book. I want to know that everything that I want to happen for Eleanor and Park DO happen for them.

Top Ten. Ever. This is my CATCHER IN THE RYE (don't get me started on that one...I am not a Holden Caulfield fan.) I don't like CATCHER, and it says nothing to me. Because it wasn't written for me. ELEANOR & PARK was. And I wish that I could give it to my 15-year-old self and tell her that she is lovable.

THANK YOU, Tracy van Straaten, for putting this galley in my hands. I will be forever grateful. It's like I've found a piece of myself that I didn't really know was missing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

Marika You were right about this!

Terri I could not agree with you more! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this book! It will go on my "best of all time" list as well. And I could give a rip what anyone else thinks about it!

Lori OMG...LOVE THIS REVIEW... I AM ORDERING IT TODAY AND SUGGESTING FOR RL BOOK CLUB.... I ALSO WAS 15 IN 1986 AND HOPE THAT IT HAS SUCH AN IMPACT ON ME... I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR "THAT" BOOK THAT JUST CAPTURES YOU FOR A WHILE NOW.. READING AND ENJOYING, BUT JUST NOT LOOOOOOOOOOOVING THEM..(MY LAST FAVORITE BOOK WAS MOTION OF THE OCEAN .

Angela I am 42. I loved this book so much! I could not put it down!

Sara Such a lovely review<33