Dawn's Reviews > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Jan 23, 2009

it was ok
Read in January, 2009

I had high expectations since Rowling is the author, but this book disappointed me. No real kids would enjoy "fairy tales" like these. The stories are short and rather dry. They are moralistic tales aimed at an adult audience with a mediocre commentary from "Dumbledore." I just couldn't get into them. They needed more detail, more emotion, more something. I found it hard to believe that even Albus Dumbledore would choose the one about death as a childhood favorite! Rowling published two small books from the wizarding world earlier in her career. Those books were delightful and funny! By comparison, Beedle seems rather forced. "Okay, I want to write something to help fund my charity, so I'll crank something out. It should sell if it's related to Harry Potter." It's hard for me to believe that I could be almost bored by something written by the author of Harry Potter, but I was. Her creative spark, her magical storytelling just wasn't there in my opinion. The Fountain of Fair Fortune and The Hopping Pot were the ones I liked best. If my friends like this book, please help me understand why? I did enjoy seeing Rowlings' artistic talent as she illustrated her own book this time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

03/10 marked as: read

Annette I agree with everything you said, except maybe not quite as strongly. I gave this book 3 stars. I have to admit, if it wasn't written by J.K. Rowling, I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read it. I have a feeling this book will be a disappointment to many of her fans.

Dawn Thanks for validating me. :) Maybe I did come off a little too strongly. As the richest woman in England, Rowling could fund her own charity anyway, I think.

Annette Yes, but very few wealthy people are as generous as Bill Gates.