Cynthia's Reviews > Madame Bovary

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

May 07, 09

bookshelves: books-read-in-2009
Read in February, 2009

I hesitate to write a review of this book. It's such a classic who would need to hear another review of it? I've picked this book up at least 3 times, 2 of which were failures. This time I finished it!!! I *hate reading works in translations. I always worry I'm missing nuances AND I hate having a go between distancing me from the author. I was motivated because I've just finished Jualian Barnes' "Flaubert's Parrot". I was motivated to read Flaubert's "A Simple Heart" and "MB". All this build up and all I really have to say is MB is well worth your time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Bovary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laurel Hicks I was disappointed with this book because I was hoping it would be as good as Anna Karenina, which I read again and again. Then I reminded myself that it came before Anna--plowed the ground, so to say. Perhaps I'll give it another chance some day. Or perhaps not. So many books!

Cynthia Thank you Laurel!!! I loved AK. It had the, please forgive me, cuddle factor, which MB just didn't. I'm not sure if I said it here but I've tried 3 or 4 times to read MB because if all I've heard about it over the years.

I love Julian Barnes though and when Booker read 'Flaubert's Parrot' I finally was able to get through it. It wasn't bad. YAY!

Cynthia

Cynthia Oh and I stole your idea of dividing read books into year.

Thanks,
c

Maria Laurele and Cynthia, I completely agree with you both about Bovary and Karenina. MB is fine, but AK is such a masterpiece, isn't it, in comparison?

Laurel Hicks Absolutely, Maria! I'm still not sure which I love more, Anna Karenina or War and Peace.

Maria Laurele wrote: "Absolutely, Maria! I'm still not sure which I love more, Anna Karenina or War and Peace."

For me, Anna K wins. W&P was good, but I'll always go with Anna K because he knew her, really knew her, and I can't get over how he did that, kind of the way Dostoyevsky knew women too. I have to admit Dostoyevsky is my favorite of the Russians (except in the case of Gogol's Diary of a Madman, which is right up there).