R.j.'s Reviews > Quicksilver

Quicksilver by R.J. Anderson

Jul 03, 13

(Review from the author)
Read in September, 2012

I'll admit it: I was scared to write this book. Not because I didn't believe in the characters or the story, but because I knew it was going to challenge me in all kinds of new ways, and take me to places as an author and as a researcher that I'd never been before. I wanted it to be a satisfying follow-up to ULTRAVIOLET, yet at the same time a quite different sort of story, and one that could be read and appreciated even by people who hadn't read the earlier novel. And at times, the pressure to live up to my own expectations of what this book ought to be -- let alone worrying about everybody else's expectations -- drove me almost to despair.

But it was worth it. Because the revisions are all done now, and with the help of my editors and critique group and faithful research consultants, the story has become everything I wanted and more. Maybe one day I'll get a notion to write a third book, but I don't think right now there's any need for one, and I can't even really imagine what it would be about or who would narrate it if I did. I think ULTRAVIOLET and QUICKSILVER stand up as two distinct and complete stories, which also form a complimentary whole.

I love QUICKSILVER with all my heart. I hope you will too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksilver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elevetha Oh, can't wait!

LovelyLina94 This book is going to be great!

message 3: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

message 4: by J.N. (new) - added it

J.N. :-D

message 5: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. :) You can also check out my latest blog post with Exciting Quicksilver News, if you're eager for a few more tidbits about the story... http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

Miss Clark Only seven more months!!!

message 7: by Rushda (new)

Rushda Wow, I feel like I've been waiting too long for this! So excited to get my hands on it soon!

message 8: by Corrie (new) - added it

Corrie Can't Wait!!!

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose I AM SO EXCITED!!! :D

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Slack When does Quicksilver come out?

message 11: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Garlick YAY! It's out...just got my notification! Can't wait!!!

message 12: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Jackie wrote: "YAY! It's out...just got my notification! Can't wait!!!"

Ooh, from where, from where? Amazon US or is it up on Amazon CA now?

message 13: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Garlick It appeared on my Goodreads out in January notification board, with Veronica's!!!!

message 14: by H99 (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 This book will be great... I can't wait! Only a few more months! Very long months, but still only a few!

message 15: by Kel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kel Reading it right now, lovin it! Binary code?...

message 16: by H99 (new) - rated it 5 stars

H99 I loved this book! I don't quite remember why, it's been a while, but it was wonderful.

Robinn I loved Ultraviolet and have been waiting for the sequel since I read it. Can't wait for payday so I can put it on my nook!!

Karmavee Your writing never fails to inspire me and make me laugh and cry when i'm reading them :D

message 19: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Karmavee wrote: "Your writing never fails to inspire me and make me laugh and cry when i'm reading them :D"

Thank you so much! And by the way, now that I've read your kind review -- I am so far from being an engineer it's not funny. I had to research my brains out to write that book because I am 100% artsy myself and I was terrified that people with actual engineering and math knowledge would despise me if I got anything wrong. (For all I know, I may have got all kinds of things wrong anyway, but nobody has bothered to tell me.)

message 20: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Robinn wrote: "I loved Ultraviolet and have been waiting for the sequel since I read it. Can't wait for payday so I can put it on my nook!!"

Thank you! I hope you'll enjoy it!

XxDeathlybitexX Looking forward to reading it!! Been waiting weeks for it to be returned to my local library

^^^
You mentioned before about not being sure what could happen if you wrote a third book in the series. As an idea, maybe it could be in Sebastian Faraday's POV ??

message 22: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Xxdeathlybitexx wrote: "Looking forward to reading it!! Been waiting weeks for it to be returned to my local library

^^^

Thanks for your enthusiasm! The problem is, if I did that, it wouldn't be a YA book anymore and wouldn't fit with the rest of the series -- in his mid-twenties, Sebastian's too old to be a YA protagonist. Not that I don't think it would be interesting to write something from his point of view! But I'm quite sure my publishers wouldn't go for it...

XxDeathlybitexX That's fine, i understand. I just thought i'd make a suggestion, and i'm so glad you replied! You're one of my idols, as one day i hope to be an author but so far i'm still struggling to complete a chapter then a whole book! But one day i hope to study writing, to get a better idea of how to write as an author would.

Diane Galinato loving the book at the moment(pg. 195)! To be honest, i was a bit saddened when i heard that there was a first book and I totally missed it. I rarely EVER read the second book without reading the first. But i was reassured when you said that the two books was complete stories, and i found myself agreeing...

Diane Galinato First off! I totes LOVE that her (ordinary part) life TOTALLY relates to me. LIKE, REALLY. I work at a market shop as a part-time cashier, and I have to remember codes just like she has to! I also have a co-worker named Jon, who is a really close friend though. And then I imagined Milo as one of my other co-worker, who seemed to have the same personality as he does!!! Omg i love this TOO MUCH already. Like.. THIS IS ME in a book, but more complex..

Robinn I am so bummed that there isn't going to be a third book!! I've enjoyed and re-read both books. I so wish there was a way to complete the story... How about a novella or two?

message 27: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Robinn wrote: "I am so bummed that there isn't going to be a third book!! I've enjoyed and re-read both books. I so wish there was a way to complete the story... How about a novella or two?"

Thanks for your enthusiasm! You're not the first to ask, and I have given the idea a lot of thought. But in the end I've realized the biggest obstacle to writing more is that I don't see Alison's or Niki's stories (or Sebastian's for that matter) as being incomplete. So it's hard to know what more I could write about them that would be compelling to me or my readers.

That being said, I really did try to write something, if only because I felt guilty that people seemed to think the story was unfinished somehow (something I'd never anticipated, because I'd only ever intended to write two books). So I spent most of January trying to write a short story about Alison and Faraday after the events of the series. But when I re-read the ending of QUICKSILVER, it seemed to me that they'd already said and done everything needed to resolve things, both plot-wise and romantically, and anything more would be redundant. Which probably explains why I couldn't make the short story go anywhere, no matter how hard I tried.

That's not to say I've given up on the idea completely! But after giving it a full month of effort, I've had to accept that it's not going to happen right now, and that I ought to move on to other things.

Robinn I do know what you mean! It really needs a book to tie up all the ends. Of course, want the happily ever after for Faraday and Alison; also for Niki and her pal. It is a wonderful book though. The characters are so engaging that I want to hear more about them.

So what are you writing next? :o) Can't wait to read it!!

message 29: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Robinn wrote: "I do know what you mean! It really needs a book to tie up all the ends. Of course, want the happily ever after for Faraday and Alison; also for Niki and her pal...."

You don't think they got their happily ever after? I feel like they have, and I'm not sure how I could make it any more so without going on to relate the entire rest of their lives -- which would be a bit HP Book 7 Epilogue territory, I think! :) But I take it as a great compliment that you care about my characters so much and would like to see more of them. Thank you.

I cannot talk about Secret Project until it is sold and sealed, but it's quite different from anything else I've written and I'm pretty excited about it!

message 30: by Renee Hoffard (new)

Renee Hoffard Is Ultraviolet going to be a trilogy? Or is this the final book?

message 31: by R.j. (new) - added it

R.j. Renee Hoffard wrote: "Is Ultraviolet going to be a trilogy? Or is this the final book?"

Quicksilver is, to the best of my knowledge and intentions at present, the final book. Thanks for asking!