Megan's Reviews > Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants by Cathy Marie Hake

Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: expanding-my-reading-horizions, romance
Read in January, 2009

This book was my first foray into 'inspirational' literature. I picked a book that didn't look too preachy and was happy that the proselytizing was minimal especially in the first half of the book. It was a standard romance, a young woman is orphaned and left with a cold man who doesn't love her as a fiancee. She runs away from him designed as a boy to her uncles Texas Ranch. Antics ensue between herself and her Uncles dashing young partner. It was interesting to read a new genre type. There is much less romantic tension built on physical attraction than in bodice rippers. However, the 'realization of love' or 'conquest of emotional hang up that is preventing a real relationship' that you get in a romance book is replaced by the young woman's struggle to 'accept Jesus'. The book upholds antiquated notions of labor divisions between genders and has several weak points in the plot. It also fails to build suspense in the situations where it is appropriate. It could have used stronger editing in some sections that are repetitive.

This book was not a waste of my time because I learned about a new genre and I did get all the way through it so that speaks to something in the book(or the fact that I like people running around disguised as a different gender...lets not over analyze that one ok?).
It is what it is and if you want to read that kind of book this one isn't horrid, just not good, and not my personal 'cup of tea',
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fancy Pants.