Jill's Reviews > On Dublin Street

3820197
Jan 07, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Read in October, 2012

IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S ME....REALLY!

description

“It’s not you, it’s me…. You’re giving me the ‘It’s not you, it’s me’ routine? I invented ‘It’s not you, it’s me.’ Nobody tells me it’s them, not me. If it’s anybody, it’s me.”
— George Costanza

I've come to the conclusion after reading On Dublin Street (and a number of other contemporary romances recently) that CRs and me are just not meant to be together.

With statistics like these for On Dublin Street -

Goodreads
nearly 12 400 ratings and an av rating of 4.44
nearly 9 000 4 and 5 star ratings

Amazon
nearly 1 000 4 and 5 star ratings

My GR friends
over 50 4 and 5 star ratings

On Dublin Street had to be a winner for me, right??

Well, it was....okay, 2.5-3 stars.

Same ole, same ole
I found there was simply nothing really new in On Dublin Street.

description

There was the inexplicable insta-love/lust by the hero. I've read this recently so many times in contemporary romances. But I want to know what made Joss special. Braden could have any woman. So why her?

And why was Joss put in foster care? Her parents left her a fortune, but had no responsible friends who they could rely on to look after their child in the event of their deaths?

For once, just one, can we have a contemporary romance without all the excessive swearing?

description

Is that too difficult? Well yes, it must be. These characters display borderline Tourette's Syndrome in their compulsive cussing.

And why do these obviously beautiful young women, think they're not beautiful?? Come on!

I loved the very different setting in Scotland. Hooray!....but. One of the biggest disappointments was the lack of Scottish brogue. I wanted an image in my head of a verra, (see?) sexy, Scottish hunk with a burrrrr!

description

Once or twice Braden used the term 'wee'. But other than that he could have been English, American or whatever. Hmmmm, I distinctly heard an Australian accent.

And seriously authors, you are going to have to stop overdoing the wet references. We.Get.It.

Characters

Joss
Joss, Joss, Joss. Bratty, petulant, mean, rude, self-absorbed.

I realise she had issues, a tragic childhood and she couldn't get close to people. This is always a good way for an author to create conflict. But instead she comes across as an unlikable and unsympathetic character. I wondered what Braden could see in her.

The Five Faces of Joss

Braden
Braden started off pretty good. And although hubris is his middle name, I loved his playfulness and humour. But then he turned from cool, confident, self-assured alpha male to caveman. Authors I think have to be careful to walk the fine line between an alpha and an a-hole. Between a protective man and a controlling, dominating, creepy stalker-type who won't take No for an answer.

The De-volution of Braden

description

Breaking up is hard to do
Of the 223 books I've read this year, 21 have been 4.5 or 5 stars.
Of those 21 books, only one contemporary romance made the cut.
So, I think CR and I are going to have to take a break.

description

Really, it's not you, it's me.

I'm afraid so. For now.

On Dublin Street was an average read for me, not bad, not great. The huge majority of readers overwhelmingly loved this. Which left me kinda wondering why....

description

So I'm adding this to my everyone-loved-but-Jill shelf.

Steam: 3.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Dublin Street.

10/24/2012
0.0% "Starting this tonight.
A buddy-read with my friend, Wen.
Woohoo!" 4 comments

(Thanks for the tip, Karla!)" 26 comments

Jill I’M GOING IN!

With nearly 9000 4 and 5 star ratings at Goodreads
And nearly 1000 4 and 5 star ratings at Amazon
And over 50 4 and 5 star ratings by my GR friends.....

On Dublin Street has got to be a winner for me, right??

*fingers crossed*

description

KatLynne I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Jilly! I hope you enjoy!

Love your images:)

Jill KatLynne wrote: "I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Jilly! I hope you enjoy!

Love your images:)"

Thanks KatLynne! After Kristen & Karla's reviews and yours this morning, I've been tipped over the edge!

Wish me luuuuuuck.....

Wendy LOL, fingers AND toes crossed for your Jilly! :)

Jill Wendy wrote: "LOL, fingers AND toes crossed for your Jilly! :)"

Thanks Wen! I knew I could rely on your support! :)

message 6: by Claire (new) - added it

Claire Gillian Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I have it on my TBR list but haven't bought it yet.

Jill Claire wrote: "Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I have it on my TBR list but haven't bought it yet."

I'll let you know, Claire. Everyone loves it. So, we'll see.....

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Oh boy! I will keep my fingers crossed the hype hasn't ruined this book for you. You know, you may not have issues with the heroine like many of us did. You know what to expect. It's amazing how expecting things can make potential issues non-existent.

Jill Kristen wrote: "Oh boy! I will keep my fingers crossed the hype hasn't ruined this book for you. You know, you may not have issues with the heroine like many of us did. You know what to expect. It's amazing how ..."

I've read so many reviews of ODS I *think* I know what to expect, Kristen. So I'm ready...hopefully.

My problem is as you've said, the heroine. She sounds annoying. And I do have some issues with the hero.

I don't usually read reviews first before I read and review, but I wasn't going to read this. I was tipped over the edge after reading the three K's reviews - Kristen, Karla and KatLynne.

Mind you, I've read a few reviews from other friends whose opinions I respect as well and they gave ODS 1 and 2 stars. So....

I'm just going to read and find out. :)

message 10: by Vallsykes (last edited Feb 10, 2013 01:31AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vallsykes The pic for Joss...IS....Hee Lair REE US!
Okay, I am rooting for you to come out with the answer to your Q about what's so hot! My biggest enjoyment about this book was in a spoiler on my review *and it was just a comic relief moment*. Glad you "went in". Honestly I did not know there were that many raving ratings out there; I guess I am seriously in the minority LMAO! I look forward to your review of this, Jill.

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Vallsykes wrote: "The pic for Joss...IS....Hee Lair REE US!

Thanks V! I haven't had a chance to read today as I'm working, but hope fully get back into it tonight. And yes, this book is incredibly popular.

Kelly22 Finally you're reading this, dear Jills! I'm excited to hear from you about it :)

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Kelly22 wrote: "Finally you're reading this, dear Jills! I'm excited to hear from you about it :)"

Hey Kells! Hope to have a review up soon!

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Smith I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review."

I'm glad I've got company, Mimi! I didn't hate it and didn't love it. But I am surprised that it's been such a hit.

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Smith Which appeared now. Great review Jill! I felt the same way. Like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know my stats, but I can't remember the last CR book that wowed me. Maybe the Lisa Kleypas one with a bit of magic? Hmm. I have a similar experience with historicals. Very few keep my interest. Still waiting for DG to take mercy and publish MOBY, since it was moved to Fall 2013. So I read UF and some YA and PNR and more and more smut. Evolving tastes and all that :)

Oh, and cool pics. I don't think you do graphic reviews often? In any case it explained your views perfectly.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Which appeared now. Great review Jill! I felt the same way. Like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know my stats, but I can't remember the last CR book that wowed me. Maybe the Lisa Kleyp..."

Thanks Mimi! And no, I rarely do graphics or pictorial reviews. Mainly because most of my reviewing is of ARCs.

I don't know the exact reason CRs fail to light my fire. But I still enjoy historicals, pnr, fantasy. Staying away from the smut though. :)

message 18: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Smith Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review."

I'm glad I've got company, Mimi! I ..."

Yeah, me too. I didn't dislike it, but I felt like I was standing in front of one of those pictures that contain jumbled colors and everyone sees the underlying picture but me. I just don't understand the strong emotion. But then again, maybe I'm becoming too used to all this stuff and jaded so it takes more or something really different to wow me? Probably.

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Smith Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Which appeared now. Great review Jill! I felt the same way. Like it was nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know my stats, but I can't remember the last CR book that wowed me. Maybe t..."

Ah, makes sense :D

I have a theory about my weariness. I think I simply read too many books that are too alike, gorged myself on them and now everything's same old, same old. Even PNR. So I try new things, genres. Whatever works. Of course, there are authors I still follow regularly.

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review."

I'm glad I've got comp..."

I think you've nailed it. I was talking to Wendy about ODS (we did a buddy read together) - she gave it 4 stars. She said the same thing, that I've read too many and after a while the same tropes/themes replay.

message 21: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Smith Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review."

I'm glad ..."

Yes, makes sense. *sigh* I'm sure I'll come back to it all. Someday.

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Mimi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Jill wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I think I gave it 3 stars, too. Not the only odd one out. Yay :) No, really, I'm sorry you didn't love it. Will be on the lookout for your review..."

Me too. I've got a few more CRs to read and review. But in future unless they're really different to the usual, I'm gonna leave them for now.

message 23: by Jill (last edited Oct 31, 2012 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill BamaGal wrote: "It's not just you, Jill. I have no plans to read this book. I'm sooo ready for a slightly older H and especially h. I want to read about a woman, not an insecure, whiny girl. I've already read ..."

I had no plans to read it either, Bama. But look at those stats! Plus, I am really wanting to read a great, brilliant, different CR! I was hoping this may have been it.

And I'm with you on the mature romances. If you ever find one let me know!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Great review, Jill! With all the hype this book if receiving I can't work up any interest. There's another book with the same theme about American girl moving to England and wipe the slutty slate clean... Falls in love with rich guy. What was the title? Anyway, I've read this story.

The spectre of Fifty Shades hovers CR and I loved Christian's characterization in #1. Let's move on folks. ;) Maybe you need to try smutty again. Mix in some PNR and YA. Try Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It's very good!

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Anna wrote: "Great review, Jill! With all the hype this book if receiving I can't work up any interest. There's another book with the same theme about American girl moving to England and wipe the slutty slate..."

Thanks Anna! I resisted reading this for a long time thinking the same as you do. But, I guess hope springs eternal! :) The other book you're thinking of might be About Last Night.

FSoG has a lot to answer for!! I haven't read it but I am so over the spin-offs and rip-offs. Unless a completely different twist was put on the same ole, same ole.

I pretty much have great luck with historicals and pnr/fantasy and r/s. I find YA too...young. And as for the smut, I'm not quite that desperate. Yet. :)

Wendy LOL, great review Jill! :)

Elizabeth (Liz) Oh, Jill. You cracked me up with this one! LMAO!!! I liked it a bit better than you did, but I still agree with some of your points. Ahem, *cough*JOSS*cough*.

I'm so sad for you and CR! Maybe CR has some growing to do, and then you'll find your way back to each other. My romantic heart just has to believe;-)

Fab, fab, fab review, Jilly!!

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Wendy wrote: "LOL, great review Jill! :)"

Thanks Wen!

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "Oh, Jill. You cracked me up with this one! LMAO!!! I liked it a bit better than you did, but I still agree with some of your points. Ahem, *cough*JOSS*cough*.

I'm so sad for you and CR! Maybe..."

Thanks E! Yeah, I'm an optimist and romantic as well. So maybe CR and I could get back together. But I think the break will do us both the world of good. ;)

message 30: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill BamaGal wrote: "Jill wrote: "Anna wrote: "Great review, Jill! With all the hype this book if receiving I can't work up any interest. There's another book with the same theme about American girl moving to Englan..."

@ Bama
I liked ALN as well as RwM. RK is one of the bright lights for me in CR.

Elizabeth (Liz) I agree, Bama. I mean, I admit I love my YA/New Adult books. Shrug. I think, at 40, I'm reliving my youth through them;-) BUT, that said, it would be awesome to have a few more stories with characters that are a bit more mature, have a little more life behind them. I think that's part of why I appreciate KA. She tends to have characters in their 30s and 40s, and I do love that. In general, though, with the current trends, I think we'll be waiting a while.

message 32: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow This review is hilarious! Thank you! :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Oh my gosh, Jill, I LOVED your review!!! Your, “It’s not you, it's me...” comments about the Contemporary Romance genre cracked me up. That is exactly how I feel about the Young Adult/ New Adult genre. We just dont There are few review I read that leave a lasting impression, but this one certainly will. Thanks for the honest, and, frankly, hilarious review.

message 34: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Willowfaerie wrote: "This review is hilarious! Thank you! :)"

Glad you enjoyed it, Willowfaerie! Hope you end up liking ODS a bit more than I did.

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Kristen wrote: "Oh my gosh, Jill, I LOVED your review!!! Your, “It’s not you, it's me...” comments about the Contemporary Romance genre cracked me up. That is exactly how I feel about the Young Adult/ New Adult ge..."

Thanks Kristen! I'm glad you can relate. I also don't go for YA/NA that much. There's always the occasional exception. Just like with CR. I find there's one every now and then that really strikes a cord with me.

message 36: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Great review Jill. Loved the Flo image for the heroine. I know I'll pass this one by, library or not.

message 37: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Misfit wrote: "Great review Jill. Loved the Flo image for the heroine. I know I'll pass this one by, library or not."

Thanks Misfit! If it didn't do it for me, it's definitely not for you.

message 38: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I don't doubt that for a minute. Between you and Rachel I've had more than enough :/

Blacky *Romance Addict* LOL Jill, what a great review! Still sorry it didn't work out for you :S oh well, in my country there's a saying, "sto ljudi, sto ćudi", it basically means; a hundred people, a hundred different tastes :)

Wendy Blacky wrote: "LOL Jill, what a great review! Still sorry it didn't work out for you :S oh well, in my country there's a saying, "sto ljudi, sto ćudi", it basically means; a hundred people, a hundred different ta..."

Sorry to butt in! But what a great saying Blacky! And so true! :)

message 41: by Juanita (new)

Juanita Jilly, I Know I loved you review a 1000 times more than I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the laugh.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* LOL!!! Great review Jill!

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Misfit wrote: "I don't doubt that for a minute. Between you and Rachel I've had more than enough :/"

@ Misfit
Yes, I saw that Rachel didn't enjoy it. Or Karla.

message 44: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "LOL Jill, what a great review! Still sorry it didn't work out for you :S oh well, in my country there's a saying, "sto ljudi, sto ćudi", it basically means; a hundred people, a hundred different ta..."

@ Blacky
Thanks Blacky! You know that's a great saying!

@ Wendy
You took the words straight out of my mouth, Wen!

message 45: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Juanita wrote: "Jilly, I Know I loved you review a 1000 times more than I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the laugh."

Thanks Juanita!
As my friend Blacky has said, a hundred people, a hundred different tastes. So true.

message 46: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "LOL!!! Great review Jill!"

@ Sandi
Thanks Sandi!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Oh and I just wanted to say about Braden and his accent, I totally get you. I knew he was supposed to be Scottish, but in my head he spoke American XDXD

message 48: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Blacky wrote: "Oh and I just wanted to say about Braden and his accent, I totally get you. I knew he was supposed to be Scottish, but in my head he spoke American XDXD"

Lol! Wendy heard him as a Brit. And I thought he sounded like an Aussie!

Blacky *Romance Addict* LOL! Well they all sound the same in my head but yeah, with him I just didn't get that burr heheheheh sometimes when I read historicals, especially Highlander ones, I TOTALLY hear the burr :D me love it heheh

message 50: by Karla (new) - rated it 1 star

Karla Didn't get the raves about the Scottish setting. Could have been Anywhere, World. And I guess it wasn't all that vivid since I saw Braden referred to as Irish in a review. LOL Or maybe the reviewer was a bit foggy on geography.

« previous 1 3 4