Aby Vela's Reviews > A Tale Dark & Grimm

A Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

U 50x66
Oct 24, 2012

bookshelves: traditional

Exciting, playful, and interesting to the max! I absolutely loved this book of dark Grimm stories and fairytales. Gidwitz's gruesome, but playful twists on the tales add the most exciting turn of events and definitely make this book a page-turner, even for me as an adult! I was hooked as soon as I read the very first page. This book does contain some graphic details, such as small children's head being chopped off with a sword and them playing covered in blood. The book follows the tale of Hansel and Gretel, as they embark on a journey to find good parents. They encounter all sorts of adventure and do more than just the cottage made of candy that we all know about. With bloody details, this story should be read by older readers, with a good sense of humor and a mind apt for a light-hearted fright. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I especially liked the way the narrator would add his two cents in here and there. Sometimes he would stop in the middle of an intense scene to say a few words, which would only increase the suspense. This would be a fun book to pick stories out of for halloween during class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale Dark & Grimm.