Christi Snow's Reviews > Stolen

Stolen by Shiloh Walker

Oct 31, 2012

Read in October, 2012

My Review:

Personally, I would put this book beyond the romantic suspense genre and move it more into the psychological thriller arena.

Shay has one messed up past. A lot of the issue is that even though she has the mental and physical scars, she really doesn't remember most of what happened to her. Her mind has protected her from it. That doesn't change the daily fear that she lives with though. She's basically a hermit, always trying to protect her identity and make herself as non-noteworthy as possible. The one thing that has set her apart is her writing. She took up writing because it was a career she could do without having to interact with people, and became really successful at it. She wrote under a male pseudonym so no one would realize who she was, but now someone is out there impersonating her online and in bookstores and she's not happy about it.

In the midst of all this is her ex-boyfriend Elliot. He broke up with her because she wouldn't share with him her secrets from her past. The break-up has devastated both of them and when she finds herself needing him and confiding in him, he wonders if he wished for much more than he could handle. His devastation at what she reveals is extremely moving. Everything about their relationship truly is. There's a LOT of emotional and physical angst here...you know I love angst right?? Shiloh does it really beautifully. Just the perfect balance of emotional trauma vs. emotional beauty as they find safety in each other. I LOVED that aspect of this story.

Shay has lived through so much and her emotional trauma is such that she doesn't know how to depend on another person. It would have been so easy for Shiloh to have written her character where she made bad moves because of this, but she didn't. She created Shay to be a strong AND SMART character...and she knows and for the most part, accepts, when she needs Elliot. I loved that.

I've always heard how amazing Shiloh Walker's romantic suspense writing is and, although I have several of her books in my TBR pile, I've never had the chance to read one. I am so happy that this was my first because it was a great one. The suspense line is really fabulously written....a great balance between knowing what's going on, but still finding surprise in the little details of why it's happening. In the end I loved that the "bad-guy" was truly evil...to the core and our hero was a true alpha through the pain of it all. LOVE...*sigh*. Just a great read. I recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.