Imogen's Reviews > Beat the Heat: How to Handle Encounters With Law Enforcement

Beat the Heat by Katya Komisaruk

Jan 23, 2009

Read in January, 2009

I am not going to lie to you: I bought this book because the cover is dorky. I was like, haha, sweet! How to beat the cops! Then, on the first page, there was an anarchist circle-A stuck inside a 0+ woman symbol spraypainted up on a well, which was my first tip that, actually, this was written by a totally badass anarchafeminist lawyer who wants people to know how to deal with the police. Because police are often jerks. I think it's also awesome how explicitly this book deals with racism, e.g. showing that the folks the cops fuck with are overwhelmingly folks of color.

It wouldn't seem like you'd need 180 pages of being told over and over again that, if you're detained, you have to say "I'm going to be quiet; I'd like to speak to my lawyer," but the reality is, it's is HARD to say that when the police are being a jerk to you. So reading it over and over in lots of different situations actually feels super empowering. AND THEREFORE I am totally glad I bought this dorky book, and am now torn between hanging onto it and letting folks borrow it if they want it or donating it to the Long Haul, where hell of folks could read it. Still haven't decided. K.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat the Heat.

message 1: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana OMG I absolutely need to give this to my sister, whose middle name has lately become Fuck-the-Police.

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick dude your sister's right!

Imogen Used copies start at like 25 dollars! It is in demand. I was lucky to get a water-damaged old used copy for cheap.

message 4: by Mordicai (new)

Mordicai Wait, we had this at Shakes. It was pretty okay, yeah.