Anaese Vega's Reviews > The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families

The Mangrove Tree by Susan L. Roth

U 50x66
Nov 10, 12

Grade/Interest Level: Primary/Upper Elementary (1st-5th)
Reading Level: Q
Genre: Poetry

Main Characters: N/A
Setting: Hargigo
POV: Third Person

Summary:
The village of Hargigo was starving. The people were living without enough food for them to survive. The animals were also suffering as well. Each and every family in village were starving and they wren’t able to feed their animals. This book tells readers how the village was transformed with the help of Dr. Sato. He planted Mangrove trees in the village to help the village become more independent. “These are the trees, Mangrove trees, that were planted by the sea.” The book tells the story of Dr. Soto’s efforts to plant the mangrove trees and there was also a poem that accompanied the story, and with each page that turns a new verse is added to the poem. The Mangrove trees grew into a Forrest that is four miles long, and served many purposes for the villagers. The roots became hiding places for sea creatures and this made it easier for the people to fish for food, and the leaves of the trees were food for the animals. Dr. Soto reached his goal to help this small village prosper and become self-efficient.

Classroom Use/Theme:
I would use this book in combination with a theme about poems. The book itself covers many different issues I feel are important and should be discussed (famine, hunger, starvation, poverty etc.) I would probably read the poem verses as opposed to the full story because I feel it would better engage the students, especially younger grades considering some of the text is rather dense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mangrove Tree.