Rebekah's Reviews > Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1947837
's review
Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: a-blight-to-literature-everywhere, romance
Recommended for: no one
read count: once was quite enough

Read the first 11 or so chapters Meyer posted on her website. Just as bad as the rest. Edward seems pretty delusional about Bella and her non-existent personality and he's even more creepy from his own point of view. Spying on her while she's sleeping and reading and who knows what else....if it was supposed to be and acknowledged as creepy and slightly wrong I wouldn't have a problem with it. But apparently Meyer thinks it's perfectly normal and acceptable for teenage boys to stalk young girls and watch them while they sleep.

The only good thing I have to say about Edward is that at least in this one I can better see the struggle and temptation he has about killing/eating Bella (once again if treated as creepy and weird as it should be I wouldn't have a problem with it) as opposed to Twilight where there was barely any tension at all.

Also, about not finishing it just because you are so "upset and depressed" about it being leaked online? Way to be mature and rational. Sometimes I really think Meyer is some whiny teenage girl on the internet writing her own love novel with her playing Bella. I for one wouldn't be that surprised. I guess it helps me keep hope in the human race that a grown woman isn't writing these and seriously thinks she is writing this amazing wonderful perfect romance, because otherwise....I don't know what to think.
139 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Sun.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)


message 1: by Georgia (new)

Georgia I am in agreement with you on all points R!


Rebekah thanks! this book really couldn't get worse, I really hope she never publishes it.


message 3: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin totally agree with you!!!


message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess I don't agree at all.All of you just don't know how Stephenie Meyer works.And I love the all the books she as done.I think u guys don't know when you see a good book.


Rebekah You are perfectly free to disagree of course. I just don't see how anyone who has ever read any other even decently written book could say this was well written. And of course there are problems other than the plot/writing/characterization/ect. But you are still free to disagree. I don't really care to start an argument here as it never ends well.


message 6: by Platinum (new)

Platinum I totally agree with everything you have to say- specifically the criticism of Meyer stopping her writing just because someone leaked the chapters. All she's doing is complaining about something that she needs to just grow up and deal with. Also,now that shes a professional writer you'd think she'd be able to handle it and realize that it doesnt matter if everyone's read it because she's still the one actually writing the story- but apparently not.


message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne I agree with you on everything except "Meyer thinks it's perfectly normal and acceptable for teenage boys to stalk young girls and watch them while they sleep" BECAUSE, its creepier, Edward is only a teenage boy in body, other than that he is an OLD MAN! Ew. I loved the books, though, because I am fascinated with trying to work out the minds of teenagers... and yes, it would all make more sense if it turned out Meyer was one herself. We all were once. I think its important to try and understand the fascination for teenagers, I was morbidly intrigued, but yes, its creepy.



Rebekah It's not the morbid creepiness of that and the rest of the books that scares me, it's the fact that instead of going for the "you know that is creepy and stalkerish" reaction from the audience Meyer is going for the "aawwwww isnt that cute" reaction. And that would not be my reaction to some strange boy sneaking into my room every night. Like I said that may be normal behavior for some teenagers or whatever but not people in general. Meyer doesn't treat the unhealthy aspects as unhealthy (even if it is "only" part of being a teenager), she treats the unhealthy things as healthy and the healthy as unhealthy. So its not what happens its how the author treats what happens. And I guess these books are a good example of how teenagers can be dumb (though I don't know why Edward is that way too). Its too bad Meyer doesnt realize the most Ive learned from her books is how tell if you're in an unhealthy relationship.


Ashley Fetter First of all, if the books are so terrible, why are you reading them?

Second of all, Meyer is an adult. Teens aren't the only ones that can write young adult books. In fact, I see it as quite amazing that a grown, mature woman is writing for people of all varying ages. The readers range from young teens to much older adults. A book isn't supposed to be all rational. The point of fantasy is to take you into a world that doesn't exist. If you don't like that world, leave it and let the rest of the people enjoy it.

Thirdly, you wouldn't like it if someone put your personal writing on the internet for so many people to see. A rough draft is somewhat like a journal entry. I write a little, though not professionally, and I get upset if I even see my fiance reading anything without my permission. Meyer is a professional writer, which makes this problem so much worse. Not only did a few people that she knew personally read this, but thousands of people did. The person that leaked the unfinished story hurt her and her fans. It was also a trust issue. This person she gave the manuscript to was obviously someone that she had a large amount of trust in. That trust is lost because the person decided that the internet would be the best place for the story.

I see Meyer's hold on this book as understandable. I would probably never be able to finish the book if it were mine to finish. She's already seen so many conflicting sides from her fans on the characters, scenes, and everything else from the book. Now, she would have to try to write as Edward from Twilight to Breaking Dawn while still knowing the characteristics that the fans, or people like you, find in him. It would be near impossible for the story to have the same meaning in her mind after all of that.

So, thank you for your opinion, but I'd rather hear from someone that has decent insight to the stories. You really shouldn't bash authors, either. You don't know how hard it is to get a story onto paper, especially one that is expected to be good even before it's officially released.


message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin god, you'd think this chick was her daughter or something. chill out.


Courtney I love twilight, I mean really really love it! Edward is my world! Well my fictional world. lol, but its kind of cool to see your point of view. Although I disagree with you, I still like to hear it from you. Thx


Courtney Oh and by the ways, YOU GO ASHLEY! I totally agree


But the one only thing I don't agree with is the unpublished thing, she should keep writing it


Rebekah Ashley wrote: "First of all, if the books are so terrible, why are you reading them?

Second of all, Meyer is an adult. Teens aren't the only ones that can write young adult books. In fact, I see it as quite ..."


First off thank you for at least being somewhat intelligible in your comment. I have seen so many comments from fans and all they have to say is "U dont like it???OMG!!!! U NEED TO DIE IT IS THE BEST BOOK EVAR!!!" ect. So at least I can respect you on some level.

Why am I reading them? Well technically I only read the first one and this one. I've heard so many people talk about how good they are and just as many reports about how bad they are. I really just wanted to see for myself. Sadly they were worse then I had feared. This one however I was really just curious about how she would portray Edward outside of Bellas mind. That and it was just so ridiculously bad I couldn't stop.

I am not sure where I said only teens can write for YA's or whatever you are implying in your second point but I certainly don't think that. As to the reason it is popular with such a wide variety of ages I can only guess. My best would be that because Bella is such a hollow plastic shell of a character anyone of any age can input their own personality into hers since it is nonexistant. I am not really a writer but I do know that some level of rationality is expected in fiction, even in fantasy but especially fantasy that is supposed to take place in our world. Twilight and its sequels fail to even come close to that level, most notably on the relationships between characters.

As to your third point I certainly wouldn't like it if anyone put up an unfinished manuscript I had on the internet without my permission. However I would not go into catastrophic eruptions about how I'll never write again and be forever cursed with writing block. I also have to wonder, if she was so upset about people reading her unfinished work then why did she post a link to it on her own site? That is just stupid to me. Plus she did give the work to some actors from the movie, so she must have been semi confident in it as kind of close to a final draft. And no I do not know how hard it is to publish a book. But a little critique is always necessary as well as thick skin. I only bash when nothing else gets through.

As for a decent insight I believe I have a much better grasp on the story then many people who still believe that being a creepy abusive stalker makes the perfect boyfriend and that being clumsy counts as a character flaw.



Rebekah Courtney wrote: "I love twilight, I mean really really love it! Edward is my world! Well my fictional world. lol, but its kind of cool to see your point of view. Although I disagree with you, I still like to hear i..."

Thank you for disagreeing with class and not throwing a fit that someone thinks differently from you. I see too many fans who are ready to bite your head off as soon as you say "I think Twilight sucks". Yours is a good attitude to have.



message 15: by Faye-hannah (last edited Jun 19, 2009 02:47AM) (new)

Faye-hannah what i dont totally understand is why, if you hate the twilight saga so much, you have gone out of your way to complain about it.
Also, i dont entirely understand if you thought the first was so bad you decided to read Midnight Sun.
Which leads to my next question, in your initial comment on Midnight Sun you wrote "Just as bad as the rest." However, you later said in reply to a comment that technically you have not read any of the other saga books, apart from "Twilight" and "Midnight Sun" my question being, how can you pass judgement on the other books, saying that they are bad, if you haven't read them.

Personally, i do not see Edward as this stalker teenage young man, or even an old man. I see it that he entered Bella's room to "spend time with her" i suppose (cant think of the intelliagable way of putting it i originally thought) without actually affecting her life in any way necessary.



message 16: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne I have two questions for the people who love Edward and/or Bella and think their relationship isn't creepy: What does Bella love about Edward? What does Edward love about Bella? I said I loved the books in spite of the creepy (and frankly completely undeveloped) relationship, but I am surprised at how many people love that "love" of theirs. What is it?


Courtney Bella loves Edward because they joke with each other, he's sweet, he's nice to her, he's exciting, he's beautiful, and he loves her.

Edward loves Bella because she's makes him laugh, she's important to him, she sees him for more then a monster, she accepts him, she kind to him, and she loves him

Love can't always be explained, sometimes it just happenes

I don't know if your in love with someone, and its not my bussiness, but still can you explain in exact words why people love? Or why you love a certain someone? I'm sorry but I think that you can not



Rebekah Faye-hannah wrote: "what i dont totally understand is why, if you hate the twilight saga so much, you have gone out of your way to complain about it.
Also, i dont entirely understand if you thought the first was so ..."


First off I have not gone out of my way. This is a site for reading books and reviewing them. I read it and reviewed it. I do not see that as going out of my way. Second I was hoping Midnight Sun would be an improvement. It wasn't. Also you yourself pointed out why. You can't review it if you haven't read it.So I read it so my friends would stop saying that to me whenever I do actually complain about them.

About my just as bad as the rest comment I suppose its not worded quite correctly. More it was just as bad as what I had heard from others and from the little I had read of the others.

There is absolutely no other word to describe what Edward does when he sneaks into Bellas room but grade A stalker. He is breaking into a girls house that he has known for approx. a week or 2 without her permission and watching her while she sleeps. Every night. For months. Whether she cares or not is irrelevant. What he is doing is stalking.

I mean just think of a guy you know only kind of well at work or school or something, that you've maybe known for a month at the most and don't talk to very much. Then imagine waking up in the middle of the night to find him sitting in your room staring at you. And it turns out hes been doing this for weeks. Every night. I would call the police and have him restrained. Not fall in love with him.



message 19: by Faye-hannah (new)

Faye-hannah Stalking is a term for unwanted attention by individuals.
seeing as Bella would like him to stay after she discovers that he is doing so and doesnt mind that he has, this would not be classed as stalking.

Correct, you did not read the rest of the books, you simply based your comment on the snippet of a book, not the whole thing.

well, it does appear you are going out of your way. i do not understand how people can report bad criticisms on a book, when they do not have a book of their own. Granted your opinion is your own, but that is mine on your comments.

i think the books are original and beautiful in their own way.
People cannot explain another persons love for something or someone, i know the characters are only fictional, however, readers cannot explain as to why Bella & Edward love each other. love is perhaps a strong would for the description of someone else's love for one another, but i myself feel that their relationship it lovely, simply because they would each sacrafice theirselves for each other. Its the type of elationship many people crave for.





one last thing, im not entirely sure my comment makes sense and i cannot be bothered to go back and read it to make sure it does, but i believe people may be able to grasp the concept of what i am trying to say.


Courtney I could not agree more Faye-hannah


Rebekah Faye-hannah wrote: "Stalking is a term for unwanted attention by individuals.
seeing as Bella would like him to stay after she discovers that he is doing so and doesnt mind that he has, this would not be classed as s..."


You pretty much just admitted he is a stalker. Sure AFTER Bella knows hes doing it and she doesnt mind he isnt stalking. He has her permission. Its ok. Still creepy in my opinion but not stalking. BEFORE on the other hand he doesnt have her permission. He doesnt know if he is unwanted or not BUT HE DOES IT ANYWAY. That is an exact definition of a stalker/psycho. There is just no getting around that.

My comment about the rest of the books was based on what I had read (I've read some chunks of Breaking Dawn). But I never claimed to have read the whole books, I was basing that on the parts that I had read. And Twilight. If you notice I don't have the other 3 books marked as read in my lists even though I know enough about them to know what happens. The point is I havent read them but that comment was based on the parts I had read.

About going out of my way? I read a book, I reviewed it, people commented about MY review and now I am commenting back. How is that going out of my way?

Regardless there is no point in going in circles over things this irrelevant. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion and I am entitled to mine.


message 22: by Faye-hannah (last edited Jun 21, 2009 11:14AM) (new)

Faye-hannah well, perhaps you should have put something along the lives of "just as bad as the rest that i have read" :D
i simply cannot & BEFORE still could not be bothered reading a list of the books you have read :)

Bella didn't like the fact that Edward as avoiding her, so prehaps your incorrect. after she discovered he was watching her sleep she came to the conclusion that she liked him watching her sleep.
Prehaps he was not entitled to enter her room by allowance, however this is tresspassing, NOT stalking. as i said before stalking is unwanted attention, Bella appears to find that he was watching over her plesent. So no, i have not just admitted that Edward was "stalking" bella, this is not what he was doing.

As for you going out of your way, it is an expression. however, you do appear to be continuing you "rant" in other comments, so i do feel that you are making a big deal about complaining about the book & Meyer.

Also, i have re-read a few of your earlier replies to others who have questions on your review. I do not believe being exceptionally clumsy is a character flaw and that is not what it was intended as, but just a simple flaw. Bella's being clumsy played a large part in "New Moon" and is the flaw Meyer decided would fit best into the story.

As to the criticism of Meyer making a big deal over her manuscript being published illegally on the internet, it is her choice to put "Midnight Sun" on hold for the time being. I can sympathise with her, that she trusted certain people with the manuscript and was betrayed by one of those people. She must feel hurt that someone she trusted so much could betray her in such a way.



Rebekah Faye-hannah wrote: "well, perhaps you should have put something along the lives of "just as bad as the rest that i have read" :D
i simply cannot & BEFORE still could not be bothered reading a list of the books you ha..."


The point is that Edward was trespassing on Bellas privacy WITHOUT HER PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE. It does not matter if she actually wanted his attention or not because EDWARD DIDNT KNOW EITHER WAY. Just because it turns out Bella did want his advances doesnt mean they werent stalking to begin with.

I am making a big deal about this book not because it is badly written but because so many impressionable girls are reading and thinking that what is in the books is what real relationships are supposed to be like. I dont want any girls to end up in abusive relationships because of applying this book to life.

I would appreciate it if you didnt respond since we dont seem to be getting anywhere and going in circles is pointless.



message 24: by Faye-hannah (new)

Faye-hannah tresspassing is NOT stalking. there is a difference, as i said before, but perhaps this time you may understand the difference slightly more.


Bianca Ashley wrote: "First of all, if the books are so terrible, why are you reading them?

Second of all, Meyer is an adult. Teens aren't the only ones that can write young adult books. In fact, I see it as quite ..."


First of all: In order to understand something, you must read it or see it. It makes no sense to argue a point if you don't know what in blue blazes you're talking about.

Second of all: Calm down. You're not part of Stephenie Meyer's PR crew, nor are you Stephenie Meyer. You didn't write the book, so stop it.

Thirdly: Trespassing and stalking isn't the same thing. He was stalking her. Trespassing is treading on property that otherwise has a warning. Not only is he breaking and entering, he's watching her more than once. That's stalking. Whether Bella found it flattering or not, doesn't mean it isn't stalking. It doesn't matter.


message 26: by Faye-hannah (new)

Faye-hannah if you search "stalking" you will see that the deffinition is "unwanted attention by individuals"
does watching someone more than once count as stalking? if so, the perhaps we are almost all stalking someone. however, he is breaking and entering & also tresspassing.


message 27: by Jules (new)

Jules Can I just point out that the teenage boy in this situation is A VAMPIRE? If one of the human boys in the book had entered the house it would have been creepy because that would be similar to the NORMAL world. However, this is a book about a person who is a VAMPIRE who reads minds. You know--FICTION. It's a fantasy! Why is anyone trying to make this about whether or not teenage boys should stalk girls? No they shouldn't. Also we shouldn't have VAMPIRES doing it? Oh yeah there aren't any. Small children shouldn't push old weird ladies that live in candy houses into ovens either.


Sandeq I always thought she left the character of Bella sort of undeveloped, as you say, so that the reader could sort of picture herself in the role. I don't know how many people have said they remember when someone looked at them like Edward looked at Bella. I don't usually read this kind of fiction (is it fantasy? sci-fi?) but I HATE watching a movie before I've read a book, so I read Twilight once the movie was out. I ended up devouring it and all the rest of them. There is just something about their relationship that supersedes their circumstances and I think (I hope) we have all felt that . . . and like to be reminded of it . . .

Just to share a moment how I came to read them, and why I love them.

I do hope she continues to write, whether this series or something new. The great thing about books is that there are so many different types, just like there are so many different people! Let's just enjoy the ones we like and not attack each other over it.


Priscilla VdL This is a very good review...like it


message 30: by Nenia (new)

Nenia Campbell I totally agree. Edward's character is VERY obsessive and creepy: a lot of girls say they find him romantic but faced with someone like him in real life, they might choose the restraining order over "true love."

Twilight is my guilty-pleasure read, but all the others are basically downhill skiing from there... Really, she should have spent this time polishing Twilight instead of churning out pointless sequels. And I can't BELIEVE she's writing a sequel to The Host. She is going to ruin her one book that doesn't suck. I know it.


message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I have to say I agree with some of your review but not all of it. When you talk about her being whiny about not finishing the book because she's upset I don't think you really understand. I admit I don't have that much experience with writing but in the limited experience I do have I have discovered a few things. You put a lot of yourself in the books that you write. Many times it, in a way, reflects your own personality and views on thing. Whether it be you have the same opinion or one that is the opposite or maybe something in between it is still there. It reflects your moods as well. You have to be in the right moods to write different things. I understand what she means when she says she can't work on it right now because it wouldn't be the same. So you can complain that you don't like some of the things she writes and you can think it's kind of creepy but don't go complaining about how she decided to stop writing it for awhile because you don't fully understand. It was a complete violation of her trust for someone to put it on the internet and she has perfect reason to be upset. I hope that she continues writing it I really do but I understand why she stopped. I don't agree with you but I do appreciate seeing your viewpoint, I just don't think you complain about something you don't understand.


Victoria i luv twilight but ur kinda right


message 33: by Saule (new)

Saule I am sure that everyone realizes that 1. this is a YA novel (can be from 10/12 to 17/18 year olds) of course older can read it. However Publishers want to know the genre, in order for marketing, etc.

2. This is also a romance novel first and foremost. Considering the TA(target audience), things shouldn't get above PG13. Some older targeted YA, may, however.

3. This is a fantasy...not reality...course you all knew that. So considering all the romance movies out there, I'd say that Ms. Meyers followed the recipe, quite well. The use of Vampires, wherewolves, fairies(in others) etc. paranormal stuff, is very popular as a vehicle for the characters to move in the story. Oila!

4. As far as her writing technique, writing, like anything else, gets better the more one writes.....

5. Authors many times write sequels, because the publishers(in the business to make money...no surprise there)...offer authors contracts and deals on the number of books they produce. Again I am sure it is no surprise to anyone, that they will offer more money for more books over just publishing one lonely book. Marketing, publishing, etc etc...very expensive. In other cases, the author has so much to say and share, they have to break it up into several books. ie: Tolkien...a 1000T word story, is not going to fit in one hard back book comfortably.

6. And as there are many author's out there, each with their own special way of portraying "their story"...and it is their story they want to share...those that like that genre will enjoy it. I don't particularily go for western novels, not that there aren't many good ones ....just not what I want to kick off my shoes and curl up in a comfy chair to read...and entertain my brain with. So I don't need to read it, just so I can critisize...oh maybe constructive critisim would be better. I am sure that is what we are doing, being constructive, not destructive.

7. Also I must say that as much as I am sure the parents of young teen girls or boys appreciate others caring thoughts re: abusive relationships, I am sure that The Twighlight series isn't one to be too concerned with...there are a lot of other venues more dangerous and menacing. ie: Much of abuse is done within the home itself..and they didn't read Twighlight. We have a lot of "stuff" out there, has been and will continue...so if a parent hasn't taught their young adult by then, the pros and cons of abuse...well...

8. I also know that writing a novel, 100T + words is challenging enough, add the pressure of deadlines etc. from the publisher and agent..and ...well, one should just be aware. Hey maybe if they can't find a book they like, what with all the books out there..maybe they should write their own wonderful story to share. I am sure that there will be plenty of people out there reading it and finding alot wrong....and you know, they probably should write one of their own.

9. I find that there are too many people living in glass houses...if we don't like something, that's okay, we don't have to, but to be verbally abusive over and over until it becomes a personal mission to make their point...wow..maybe too much time on their hands...like I said...write a book...I'd love to read it.:)


message 34: by Ameria (new)

Ameria Firdauzy Well.. What an ARGUMENT... But from it know now that not all people loved the book... I've read the firs one, and looking forward reading the second. But, it never cross my mind about Edward's attitude, stalking Bella... Well, I supposed I need to reconsider about all HIS attitude and personality...


message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I agree with people up there. That's what drives me nuts! NOT when people say ohh, i read the WHOLE series and i didnt like it... but when people say 'i read one book and so the rest sucks!' (i am overexagerating). so, please, not just the main person of this post, but every other twilight hater out there... go ahead and say you hate it, you are entitled to it. but saying you hate it when you haven't read them all? that's just sillyy. (MY OPINION. idc if you disagree) :D oh, and this isn't toawrds Rebekah. it's for other people mostly.


message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie I think your all mad! Have an imagination for god sake and stop thinking so negative!Its people like you that ruin things like this for people who obviously want to see more in life,wether its make believe or reality!.
Stalking is a whole other issue and has nothing to do with this book! Its called love and romance-Maybe you should look it up!!!


message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie Also, its hardly stalking if she actually wants him around her!


message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie Courtney *Stark Lover* wrote: "I love twilight, I mean really really love it! Edward is my world! Well my fictional world. lol, but its kind of cool to see your point of view. Although I disagree with you, I still like to hear i..."

I love him too!! xx


message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie Ashley wrote: "First of all, if the books are so terrible, why are you reading them?

Second of all, Meyer is an adult. Teens aren't the only ones that can write young adult books. In fact, I see it as quite ..."


Here here!! I totally agree,life would be soooooo boring without a good imagination!!x


message 40: by Aditi (new)

Aditi haha!! they are all fictional.. i think it is a simple waste of time to read these books.. twilight was something better than the rest....i think meyer would be proud of herself for having her books start off an arguement like this!
all my friends at school are like ..AWWWWW "edward!!! i wish he was mine!!" and the rest go "no he's MINE!!"
and i am like.... what the F????...whoever wants him can take him!! i mean... hes fiction!! girls!! WAKE UP??!!
and when it comes to my dear "bella swan"!! i think edward can't read her mind because she is toooooooooooo stupid!! :D
basically... this series SUCK


message 41: by Aditi (new)

Aditi haha!! they are all fictional.. i think it is a simple waste of time to read these books.. twilight was something better than the rest....i think meyer would be proud of herself for having her books start off an arguement like this!
all my friends at school are like ..AWWWWW "edward!!! i wish he was mine!!" and the rest go "no he's MINE!!"
and i am like.... what the F????...whoever wants him can take him!! i mean... hes fiction!! girls!! WAKE UP??!!
and when it comes to my dear "bella swan"!! i think edward can't read her mind because she is toooooooooooo stupid!! :D
basically... this series SUCK


Cynthia To Aditi."they are all fictional.. i think it is a simple waste of time to read these books"

your so negative.
people like fictional books. It is for entertainment duh.


message 43: by Jasmen (new)

Jasmen Wright Faye-hannah wrote: "what i dont totally understand is why, if you hate the twilight saga so much, you have gone out of your way to complain about it.
Also, i dont entirely understand if you thought the first was so ..."


Ummmm...well I think that's pretty much what a creepy stalker man does...


Danielle Johnson Nard sac, excrement? Really?
Why do some men have to point out fixation with their private parts? This review was more distasteful than the books could ever be.


message 45: by Nic (new)

Nic I agree with you


Erica Excus le moi ru insulting my best friend >:(


message 47: by Roxy (new) - rated it 1 star

Roxy I agree with you wholeheartedly. The fans, unfortunately, can be some of the most difficult people to every discuss *anything* with (not all of them, but a whole lot if not most).

Girls, it's stalking, whether Bella liked it or not. Faye-hannah, you wan to quote "unwanted attention" let me quote this to you, "Female stalking victims most commonly report being followed, spied on, or watched at home, at work or at places of recreation". Sound familiar?

Courtney: "Bella loves Edward because they joke with each other," When do they joke with each other? I don't actually recall them doing this in the books. I can sure quote many pages of them arguing though. "he's sweet," Because he tells her she's pretty? Okay sure. Of course many abusers have their "sweet" moments. "he's nice to her," Oh, like the time he dismantled her engine so she couldn't see her best friend.. yes, so nice of him. Also, I didn't know that being nice to someone equaled love. "he's exciting," The exciting parts of him put her life in danger, but that's what she's into then okay.. "he's beautiful," Shallow much? "and he loves her." So she loves him because he loves her. Er.. all right.

"Edward loves Bella because she's makes him laugh," When? I recall her making him angry a lot more than her making him laugh. "she's important to him," WHY is she important to him? This isn't a reason, this is another way of saying he cares about her but you're not telling me WHY he cares about her. "she sees him for more then a monster," So he loves her because she doesn't think he's a horrible creature? Wouldn't that then mean that any guy she thinks well of would fall in love with her because Bella doesn't think they're monsters? "she accepts him," Again, how is this different from other men? Does Bella refuse to accept other men in her life? This equals love? "she kind to him," Does this mean she's mean to every other guy out there? "and she loves him" Again, loving someone just because they love you to begin with doesn't make sense.

You can't say that just because they're nice, or decent to each other that this means love. I'm nice to my neighbor, that does not mean I'm in love with him. I'm very accepting of my friends, this does not mean I'm in love with them. I once had a guy who claimed to be in love with me, I was not in love with him in turn just because of that. I'm in love with my husband, and here's a very unique and specific reason as to why: He enjoys having hours and hours of conversations with me about everything and anything in this world that either of us can think of. No one else in the world converses with me like my husband does. Be it science, religion, philosophy, humor, relationships, whatever. Notice that whenever Bella and Edward talk it's about turning Bella into a vampire (which usually turns into arguments) having sex, or getting married (both of which turn into more arguments). On rare occassions they'll talk about other people,(Edward explaining about the pasts of his family members) but they hardly ever talk about their personal opinions, goals, beliefs, and so on. If their relationship is so great, then why is more than half of their talking time made up of arguments? Read the books, look through their discussions, and notice that we know very little of Edward's 100+ in this world. What did Edward do in the 70's? Or the 50's? Does Bella ever ask him? Does she care? Somehow I don't think she does.


message 48: by Shani (last edited Jun 10, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Shani I don't completely agree that Edward and Bella's relationship is creepy simply because it's ok for similar relationships in fictional tales such as Bram Stoker's Dracula. The Count falls for Mina because she is the reincarnation of his former love. She has her own mind and is not actually the woman he fell for and married. Also the count changes his appearance to make her fall for him, and not only this he rapes and turns her friend while in disguise of a beast.

Although I do love the story of Dracula, I find this creepier by far. I agree that the Twilight saga may not be everyones cup of tea (or coffee, whatever you prefer) but people I know are so ashamed of people who actually enjoy Twilight.

I enjoy reading a lot but I find it wrong that people are made to feel ashamed of admitting they enjoyed reading Twilight. There were so many people I knew who were slating Twilight that I actually expected to hate the book but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do agree that Bella's character is a dull one but I also think it helps readers relate to her character.

My final point would have to be that although people adore Edward... I much prefer Jacob :D


SimBim Personally, I love midnight sun...
But, that's okay if you don't. I just wanted to say that, of course to people of this day and age, Edward would be portrayed as creepy and weird for spying on Bella. But, come on, he was born in the 1900's and it wasn't really like he was doing anything wrong! He only spyed on her, to observe her, because he loved her! I loved this book, because it was really insightful and we got a taster of Edward!


SimBim Also, I love edward too! swoon ;)
He can stalk me...


« previous 1
back to top