Penelope's Reviews > The Romance of Tristan and Iseult

The Romance of Tristan and Iseult by Joseph Bédier

Jan 23, 2009

bookshelves: reviewed-books, favorites

Before Romeo and Juliet, and Lancelot and Guenevere, there were Tristan and Iseult.

Tristan and Iseult's story is one of honor, betrayal, jealousy, forbidden love, potions, Kings, Queens, etc... It has everything needed to create a lasting and memorable tale. The wording in this story is so well done! It just screams: "tragedy!"

There are a lot of questions regarding this tale. Did Tristan and Iseult really live? Is their story true? Who knows? I don't.

I do know, however, that this tale along with its many versions has captured my heart. This is possibly my favorite story. I downloaded the free audio book last year and have been completely taken away with it ever since! I have recently listened to it again, and let me assure you: this is a great love story.

The movie was pretty good...but never mind that! You need to hear the audio book; or at least read the book. I'm partial to the audio book because I love the narrator's accent, and feel that it added to the story, making it more real.

Edit: You can download the audio book from Librivox.org.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romance of Tristan and Iseult.

message 1: by Jackylyn (new)

Jackylyn Grace WHERE CAN WE DOWNLOAD THE AUDIO BOOK?

Penelope I apologize, but I just now saw this comment! I hope this isn't too late, but here is the link to the audiobook download from Librivox: http://librivox.org/tristan-and-iseul...