Mariah's Reviews > The Dream-Maker's Magic

The Dream-Maker's Magic by Sharon Shinn

Mar 20, 2009

bookshelves: safe-keepers, library, fantasy, young-adult, 2009, disability, gender, reviewed
Read in March, 2009

Another beautifully told coming-of-age fantasy from Sharon Shinn!
Dream-Maker's Magic focuses on the evolving friendship of two misfits-
Kellen, whose mother insists she was born a boy, has been raised as such. She presents herself as either gender depending on her mood or the situation. Gryffin is a physically handicapped boy who is very smart and determined to succeed. The two go to school and then work together in an inn/restaurant. I like how the author depicts the change of the seasons and the seemingly simple yet multi-layered life of a small town. The plot ended up moving in ways I did not expect- so you may be in for some interesting surprises.

The exploration of both gender identity and disability was also very intelligently and sensitively done- it makes you think without being politically preachy.

This the 3rd in a trilogy of loosely connected books set in the same unnamed kingdom- the others being the Safe-keeper's Secret and the Truth-Teller's Tale. I thought this was the best of the three- I still recommend reading them in order though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream-Maker's Magic.

02/26/2009 page 170
62.5% "This is the best book out of this trilogy!"