Zoe's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Oct 24, 12

Lois Lowry is a magnificent writer and creates suspense in her writing. In The Giver the book seems to be utopian in the beginning but as you get deeper in the story it seems more dystopian. It’s based on a twelve -year-old boy named Jonas whose job is to hold memories for his community.

As Jonas goes through his training he begins to feel and experience what no one but the Giver has experienced before. “Then the wave of pain. He gasped. It was as if a hatchet lay lodged in his leg, slicing through each nerve with a hot blade,” (pg. 109)

The ending has haunted readers for years, leaving them with tons of questions. The suspenseful ending leads to the other books which are also take place in a dystopian world. I would recommend this book to people who like suspense.

I think Lois Lowry is an amazing author. Her books will leave you at the edge of your seat. She will have you wanting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Cuthbertson I like your statement, "the ending has haunted readers for years, leaving them with tons of questions." What was your biggest question after finishing the book?

Jaela Zoe, I like how you use suspense and your opinion, and how you don't give the book away. Beautiful!!

Kathy T Great Job, Zoe! Shh...it's even better than mines. :)

Julian I wrote almost the same thing when you wrote "utopian in the beginning but as you get deeper in the story it seems more dystopian."

message 5: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Jessica wrote: "I like your statement, "the ending has haunted readers for years, leaving them with tons of questions." What was your biggest question after finishing the book?"
What happened to both of them?

Jessica Cuthbertson Yup, that was my big question, too!