Angie Holtz's Reviews > Sad Desk Salad

Sad Desk Salad by Jessica Grose

Oct 24, 12

From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

The synopsis isn't quite right. It's not a no brainer, Alex is tortured by her choice. She's already spirally out of control when the story begins. She doesn't shower much and has been wearing the same muumuu for weeks, it literally smells bad to her. She doesn't like posting about the catty celebrity stuff, but with the pressure for pageviews, she feels the need to go that route more and more just to keep her job.

I think it's a brilliant look at how the internet can turn dangerous and make anyone lose touch with reality. She loses sight that it's not real, it doesn't really impact her life. When Alex finds a hate blog dedicated to her company's blog, but mostly about her, she freaks out. She starts pushing away all her real relationships, trying to protect her online reputation. Her relationship with her mother even ends up strained.

Smooth pacing, and light-witty writing make this a fun read. I stayed up too late last night trying to finish it, and once the boys were dressed I picked it right back up this morning. It's a fun chick-lit that again deals with important issues. Most importantly, privacy in this new digital age. And what morals are bloggers held to, or should they be?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sad Desk Salad.