Autumn Doughton's Reviews > The Evolution of Mara Dyer

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Oct 24, 12

Ahhhh! This was probably one of the most disappointing sequels I've read, especially when I take into account how much I liked the first one.

Aside from the fantasticness that is the book cover and maybe one or two scenes, this installment lacked the eerie, desolate beauty of the first. When I read the The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I loved the mix of emotions I experienced--goosebumps raised on my arms several times, my heart clenched over Noah, and I laughed at so much of the quick, witty dialog. Not so much in this book. It felt forced. And I didn't sense the same connection between Mara and Noah.
When you are reading fantasy or anything with a preternatural element you can take the story so many places and if you have a reader that is comfortable with that type of story, you are really only limited by your imagination and the laws of the universe that you have created. The only real rules are that you stay consistent. Hodkin completely lost me at the end when she introduced a sci-fi element into the story that didn't seem to fit with the overall tone of the story. I guess that was intended to be an exciting twist? Well, it wasn't the type of twist that had me thinking: "Wow, I didn't see that coming. Awesome!" It had me thinking: "Wow, this has gotten ridiculous and I wonder if she just had no idea where to go with the story or if she was smoking copious amounts of weed a bit too regularly." Either way, I was pretty let down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MoyJoy i questioned too if we all were reading the same book...

message 2: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Doughton Right? I genuinely liked the first book. I may have even given it 5 stars... This one felt so incredibly off to me

MoyJoy if by off you mean boring then yes!!! I found myself trying to convince myself I wasn't bored reading it... but it was one of the few books i've read while watching TV.

message 4: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Doughton haha

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Well, we are obviously on the same page on this one! I didn't even read your review until after deciding to quit reading this book.

message 6: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn Doughton It felt completely different than the first one, right?!! I thought book 1 was haunting and dark and I loved the dialogue. This one had a completely different tone. Elizabeth wrote: "Well, we are obviously on the same page on this one! I didn't even read your review until after deciding to quit reading this book."