Renee Thomas's Reviews > Because It Is My Blood

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

Oct 23, 2012

Read in October, 2012

A very worthy sequel. I'm still trying to process some thoughts etc. but it was most certainly as gripping as its predecessor, which is saying something.
I cared about Anya and where her life was headed (which was often in several conflicting directions, the poor girl!) and I still have those side characters to whom I will always be loyal (Mr. Kipling, I love you!)
While I didn't shed any tears, there were certainly some emotional moments contained within these pages, and I applaud Zevin for not holding back on the very real cost of life and love that such situations can result in.
I am very proud of Anya for the progess she makes duing this novel; it is slow and often painful - she is making plenty of mistakes, and understands in hindsight just how foolish she has been, but that is all the more credible. And her relationships with people - Win, Scarlet, her family - all far apart and repair in a very believable fashion. It is refreshing to see relationships being handled in this way.

Brief notes:
- I want to slap Scarlet silly
- Theo is adorable
- Chocolate as medicine FTW!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because It Is My Blood.