Cara O'Brien's Reviews > Cry, the Beloved Country

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

Jan 23, 2009

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2009

I've been meaning to read this for years, and I'm glad I waited. I studied South Africa in depth as an undergraduate history student, and having that background knowledge gave me a much greater appreciation for the novel.

Cry, The Beloved Country is breathtaking and devastating. I won't even try to describe its beauty, you'll just have to discover it for yourself.

If you don't sob your way through this book, you have no heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry, the Beloved Country.

Quotes Cara Liked

Alan Paton
“The tragedy is not that things are broken. The tragedy is that things are not mended again.”

Alan Paton
“Happy the eyes that can close”

Alan Paton
“The truth is, our civilization is not Christian; it is a tragic compound of great ideal and fearful practice, of loving charity and fearful clutching of possessions.”

Alan Paton
“But there is only one thing that has power completely, and this is love. Because when a man loves, he seeks no power, and therefore he has power.”

Alan Paton
“Who indeed knows the secret of the earthly pilgrimage? Who indeed knows why there can be comfort in a world of desolation? Now God be thanked that there is a beloved one who can lift up the heart in suffering, that one can play with a child in the face of such misery. Now God be thanked that the name of a hill is such music, that the name of a river can heal. Aye, even the name of a river that runs no more.
Who indeed knows the secret of the earthly pilgrimage? Who knows for what we live, and struggle and die? Who knows what keeps us living and struggling, while all things break about us? Who knows why the warm flesh of a child is such comfort, when one's own child is lost and cannot be recovered? Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom.”
Alan Paton, Cry, the Beloved Country