Robert's Reviews > Black Robe: A Novel

Black Robe by Brian Moore

Jan 23, 2009

Quite an interesting read, exploring the relationship between French colonists (especially Jesuit missionaries) and the Algonquins, Hurons and Iroquois in the harsh, untamed Canadian wilds. The book explores this clash of cultures and religions from various vantage points and managed to do so without whitewashing either side's nature. The middle of the book is also fairly suspenseful, as the sick priest travels with a group of Algonquins through Iroquoi country. He's just shy of being abandoned by his guides, who think him a dangerous sorcerer anyway. And to be captured by the Iroquois is to be "caressed unto death" by a people for whom horrendous torture resonates with religious significance.

Consider this somewhere between three and four stars.

EDIT: Bumping this up to four. I grow ever fonder of it the more I think back on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Robe.

03/14/2009 "I may not stick with this one, but it's interesting enough thus far."
03/14/2009 page 26
10.16% "Pretty interesting thus far, actually. Such a clash of cultures, both of which are rather alien to me."
03/16/2009 page 57
22.27% "I feel bad for the main character and its only wilderness toil and cross-culture awkwardness at this point. Things are not looking up"
03/17/2009 page 108
42.19% "Who knew the Algonkins loved to curse so much?"
03/18/2009 page 180
70.31% "More cannibalism -- thanks, Iroquois."