LJ's Reviews > Edge of Midnight

Edge of Midnight by Charlene Weir

Aug 11, 07

bookshelves: mystery, police_procedural, kansas, contemporary_post_1945, female_author
Read in March, 2007

EDGE OF MIDNIGHT (Police Procedural-Kansas-Cont) – Okay
Weir, Charlene – 7th in series
Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2007- US Hardcover- ISBN: 0312347979
*** Police chief Susan Wren is very busy in the small town of Hempstead, Kansas. She has a rookie cop who has nearly killed two of her partners by not following their instructions. The teenaged girl Susan has befriended is clearly upset but won’t talk to Susan. A World War II veteran suffering of Alzheimer get a hold of a gun. Into this comes Cary Black, a woman on the run from her abusive husband, who is a cop.
*** I so enjoy this series and felt the last book, “Up In Smoke,” was excellent. For me, this book wasn’t up to the same level. There was a lot going on in this book, perhaps a bit too much. I did feel the story could have been much tighter. And yet, Ms. Weir deftly wove most the fragments together into a suspenseful plot primarily focused on abuse. The protagonist of this book, rather than being Susan, was Cary. Ms. Wren did a very good job of showing the balance of Cary’s fear yet strength and determination, as well as the husband’s psychosis and rationale for beating his wife. However, there were a few too many coincidences and I definitely saw the end coming. This was definitely not her best book. I do recommend Ms. Weir’s books and wish she would write them faster, rather than every two-to-three years, but I should recommend starting with “Winter Widow.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edge of Midnight.