Shayana's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Jan 23, 09

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Have you ever had to read a book for school and there wasn’t any if, ands, or buts about it? Well let me tell you the truth I have, the book was called The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.I really didn’t like this book, you know when you’re reading a book and you really can’t understand the grammar or language because there’s a lot of slang. Another reason why I didn’t like this book was the characters like a book can have its main characters but you can’t tell who is who. Furthermore my reason last reason on why I didn’t like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the book was just plain on confusing to me when something can be happening then just like that something else can happens. My first reason why I didn’t like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, because I had a hard time understanding the grammar and or language for example in chapter 8 I Spare Miss Watson’s Jim “Doan hurt me-don’t! I haint ever done no harm to a ghos.”see what I mean from reading this, there was a tongue twist. My second reason was the characters the first character was Miss Watson in this book slave’s weren’t able to learn how to read or write just because Jim wanted to know how to read and write there’s nothing wrong with that she didn’t want him to know because no one in his family knew how so she made him stop. The second character was Huckleberry Finn father Pap he was a junky all he did was drink and then try to kill Huck “he chased me round and round the place with a clasp-knife, calling me the Angel of Death, and saying he was going to kill me, and then I couldn’t come for him any more. I begged and told him I was only Huck; but he laughed such a screechy laugh and roared and cussed, and kept on chasing me up.” Last character was Huckleberry Finn if you talked about Pap you have to talk about Huckleberry Finn. He was confused about if him and Jim were best friends or not one minute they were, then the next minute they wasn’t. At one point he was going to tell on Jim. “then I thought a minute, and says to myself, hold on;s’pose you’d ‘a’ done right and give Jim up, would you felt better than what you do now? No, says I, I’d fell bad-I’d feel just the same way I do now. “Well, then says I, whats the use you learning to do when its wrong its troublesome to do right and ain’t no trouble to do wrong, and wages is just the same? I was stuck.” My final reason was this book was just plain confusing. To many parts in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn would happen at once, you could be reading about a character then next thing you know you’ll reading about a different character also why this book was confusing I couldn’t tell which character was who. Sometimes I would think that Huckleberry Finn was Jim when Jim is black and Huckleberry Finn was white, when I was really confused every time they brought up the name Tom Sawyer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

message 1: by Nirav (new) - added it

Nirav Solanky good.. can u throw some lights on narrative aspects of the novel..?

message 2: by Porsche (last edited Jul 31, 2013 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Porsche Yeah, the language was a little hard to read because Mark Twain wrote the dialects with southern accents so you can hear the different ways folks talked back in 1884, during slave days. I'm from Georgia so I guess that gives me an advantage because many older people from the country still talk that way.

I agree with you though. In some places it was really hard to understand what they were saying. Especially when Jim or the other black people spoke. That was because back then black people had different accents than white people. They still do today even. Especially in the south.

It helps if you try to read those tough parts out loud.

Tom Sawyer's story The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is much easier to read, and much funnier. It came first before Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and might help clear up the confusion. If you have not read that one yet try it out. I think you'd like it more.