Rae Ryans's Reviews > Kissing Under the Mistletoe

Kissing Under the Mistletoe by Marina Adair

Oct 23, 12

Read on October 23, 2012

Kissing Under the Mistletoe is a contemporary romance that strikes at the heart. The story is centered around the now 27 year old French-Mexican, single mother who has had her life ruined at every corner by a man she barely knows. When Regan was a naive 19 year old girl she fell in love with the wrong man. He was wrong for many reasons, but the kicker would be that he was already married. Of course this became news to her on the fateful day they were caught by Gabe. The very day she had learned she was having a girl.

What he also failed to tell her is just how ruthless his wife’s family could be. Richard’s wife Abigail, her family would never allow Regan to live it down, though Richard got away scot free, and millions richer. Now the only link to causing the family shame or harm is Regan, the other woman. Gabe will do anything to keep his loved ones safe, even if it meant harming another.

Needing a change of pace, and a new beginning, Regan moves her daughter away from everything she has ever known. Two weeks, deep in wine country, she quickly learns that it may have been yet another mistake to add under her belt. Unknowingly, she moved right into Gabe’s hometown. She bares her famous temper, and winds up stealing the town’s beloved Randulf statue from the Christmas display.

In a twist of unforeseen events the pair find themselves at odds. At first he wants her to leave, and quickly gets her fired from her new job. But Regan is a born fighter, and the words give-up are not in her vocabulary. Frantically she tries to find a new job, a place to live, and anything in her power to give her daughter a sense of normality that she herself never had.

It comes to light when she reads her five year old daughter’s Christmas wish. All little Holly wants is a forever home, and it becomes clear to Regan that she will do anything to give it to her. Even if it means every single person in the community hates her for being a homewrecker. She just wants more for her daughter than she ever had.

Gabe just wants to protect his family. He is always the hero, and has been since his parents died in an accident. He was left to pick up the pieces of both business and raising his siblings. He wants nothing more than to know they are safe and well, but all of that is turned upside down when the “Vixen” he loves to hate strolls into his life once again.

He wants her gone and even feels sorry for ruining her chances, but at the same time he is trying to keep Abigail and Regan from ever crossing paths. Gabe knows Regan wasn’t the only woman he had cheated with, but there is just something about her that screams a warning. Little did he know that it was his desire to know her, to touch her, and to love her.

Can these two warring, yet attracted characters find a way past themselves, their families, and whatever fate throws their way? Do they fall in love? Does Gabe forgive Regan, though she never really did anything wrong? Does little Holly get her wish?

This book is beyond touching. Your heart will break, and break as you learn about Gabe and Regan. More so, as a mother I found the scenes involving Holly to pull and rip at my heartstrings.

Deep in the story, I guarantee you will not be able to put it down. Between the romance is mystery, friendships, enemies of the plastic kind, and one reindeer that threatens to tear the town apart. I just couldn’t put it down, because even up to the last few pages I couldn’t tell what would happen.

On a side note, I think that single mothers (past and present) who enjoy romance will love this story. Anyone who understands that daily struggle of being a Mommy, and knowing how hard it is to find time for yourself, let alone to have an identity otherwise. I believe this story could have an inspirational effect for any woman who has ever been hurt emotionally by a man too.

In many ways I want to thank the author. I found the story refreshing and heartwarming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing Under the Mistletoe.