Jonathan's Reviews > The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History

The Lucifer Principle by Howard Bloom

Jan 22, 2009

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, science
Read in May, 2009

I happened to be walking around in Hastings one day, when I came across this random book. I was immediately interested in the title simply because I sort of already knew what it was referring to; the idea that good and evil are inherent traits of human beings and to go even more specific, good and evil are completely relative. The first couple of chapters already had me hooked, the hypothesis brought forth in this book are rather generalized, but the fascinating part was the information Bloom used to back up his claims. Referring to lab tests on rats, group surveys, historians and scientists from Heroditus to Jane Goodall, Howard Bloom sets the stage for his grand overall thesis as to why humans behave the way they do. This is an epic tracing on a grand time-scale. All that being said, I would like to say that I don't necessarily agree with everything he infers but he does argue his case very well. In fact I can say I was convinced by most of it, because to tell you the truth most of it is common sense, it just happens to be that Bloom puts this common sense into a very readable format with substantiated research. I often found myself thinking that a lot of the information was redundant about three-forths in, but by the very end things wrap up nicely. Unfortunately by the end of the book I no longer liked the title, it just isn't a very good name for his overall hypothesis. I really did enjoy the book and it is simple writing with a lot of really interesting information.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucifer Principle.