Elasha's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

U_50x66
Oct 22, 12

Read in October, 2012

Wow. A lot of people have reviewed this book. It is certainly an interesting writing style -- poetic with heavy use of imagery. Readers seem to either love that or hate it (the style). I read it on vacation at the beach and found it creative and thought-provoking; for me it was effective at conveying the author's message, which in a nutshell, is that living day to day purposefully with gratitude for all that God gives us (good and bad) will help us to feel more joy, and will eventually lead us to a life of service that is centered in our relationship with Him, and that allows us to feel His love for us as we consider all the daily gifts He gives. I found myself relating as a mother to the quest for daily joy amidst the mundane. I enjoyed reading about the author's spiritual journey and learning, line upon line, as she pursued a life of daily gratitude. Her quest brings her healing from various life events as well. In the end the message seemed to reflect our common belief that where much is given much is required -- as we embrace this notion of concentrating on being grateful it does eventually translate into wanting to be the blessing for someone else, if we can, in some way; and that as we accept and realize how much we are loved by our Father in Heaven we can't help but share that love.

There is a lot of Christian theology expounded upon, which for me was interesting and I certainly increased my exposure to teachings of various Christian teachers, but these were secondary to the main message in my opinion.

Last thought: it seems to me that the mental attitude of gratitude combined with honing homemaking skills and systems will bring the homemaker the joy AND order she craves!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.