Stacy Chrzastowski's Reviews > Hiroshima No Pika

Read in October, 2012

Grade Level/Interest Level: grade 3-4
Reading Level: Lexile Adult Directed 620L level, 3rd-4th grade
Main Characters: Mii, Mother, Father
POV: third person omniscient narrator
Setting: Hiroshima

This story is about a young girl, her mother, and her father surviving the nuclear bomb in Hiroshima. The story starts off where their house explodes, they wake up, and the mother leads the daughter and carries the father who is badly burned to safety. They travel very far to escape the fire. They end up sleeping near a beach for days to recover from their journey. The story ends with the tellings of the city being destroyed and all of the aftermath, including the death of their father. I really loved the idea that students can read about a tragedy that our country imposed on innocent people. Sometimes all students learn about is how great the United States is and justifications of this, but we have done tragic things to others. This story depicts this through an innocent girl who had to deal with this horrible bomb. The pictures are also very different and complex; the author was the illustrator as well. It is very hard to discern what is going on in each picture, but I believe this would be a great conversation to have with students.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiroshima No Pika.