Carol's Reviews > May We Be Forgiven

May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes

Oct 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read
Read in October, 2012

***Please note: I received a copy of this book through GoodReads Giveaways.

Wow, where do I start with this book? When it comes to action, the author, Ms. Homes, really doesn't mess around. The incident that sets the story into motion happens within the first couple of pages. The various plot points that happen afterwards aren't exactly what I would call plausible (although I'm sure most of it is written primarily for shock value).

The storyline pacing wasn't very smooth, but perhaps the author did that on purpose - this is a tale of a man's life over the course of one year. As we all know, real life doesn't run at a smooth pace either.

Several points throughout the book I was left wondering, what is the point to all of this? Granted, it was interesting to see how the main character, Harold Silver, had traveled from Point A at the beginning of the book to Point B at the end and how much his situation had changed when the book began.

Ms. Homes makes no qualms about her characters - every last one of them is flawed (some very much so). So by the time I got to the end of the book, with its ending wrapped up in a tidy little bow, I was admittedly somewhat disappointed.

Would I recommend May We Be Forgiven? Sure. It was an interesting read and kept me engaged for 400+ pages, perhaps due to morbid curiousity about what these people were going to do to each other next. Was it a page turner and will I read it again. Not really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May We Be Forgiven.