s.penkevich's Reviews > The Monster at the End of this Book

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
6431467
This book was a childhood favorite of mine, and I suspect that my love of metafiction stems from this book. However, as an adult I find this book to be slightly sadistic. Grover BEGS you to not turn the page in order to keep from reaching the monster that will be found on the final page ((view spoiler)), building brick walls and such to thwart your progress. However, the fun is laughing at Grover as you ignore his pleas and keep on pushing forward to the end.


Perhaps the positive message is to be brave and face your fears though. Either way, this is a fun book and an interesting example of how reader and book can interact. It has become a staple of my own daughters bedtimes.
Highly recommended if you have young children. Other titles to check out are the sequel, Another Monster at the End of This Book or Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover (Pictureback
50 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster at the End of this Book.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

s.penkevich This book was my childhood favorite. I think it was why I now love metafiction so much haha


s.penkevich Nice, I want to hear the theme song now. I imagine they have to change it slightly to fit all the syllables in. The modern Sesame Street theme song is slightly different than it was when I was a kid, and it bugs me ha


s.penkevich Sam wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ3DiJ... it's the strangest thing you will ever see."

Awesome! I'm super jealous I didn't get to have the cool train as a kid though. Now that is going to be stuck in my head all day


message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! That book is the best.


s.penkevich Sam wrote: "D'AWW, your daughter's a cutie!"

Thank you!


message 6: by Garima (new)

Garima I'll be honest..I didn't read your review...A big like for your daughter's picture..and of course..Awwww! :)


s.penkevich Scott wrote: "Sesame Street produced one of the greatest albums of all time."

Wha!? To Amazon.com!


Mark Dang, I don't think I had that one! There was a small collection, maybe double LP?, that was like an anthology of songs by all the different characters. Ernie did "Rubber Ducky," Oscar sang a song called "I Love Trash," that I can still remember listening to as one of the first tornadoes I experienced was blowin up. Wish I could remember what the set was called


Christopher I loved this book as a kid! I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever.


s.penkevich Garima wrote: "I'll be honest..I didn't read your review...A big like for your daughter's picture..and of course..Awwww! :)"

Thanks, that's actually like 6 months ago so she looks so young and tiny to me in that one (I meant to write this a long time ago and Mark just reminded me of it earlier). I do feel a bit creepy about having a picture of my daughter up for the world to see, so I'm going to take that down after a day or two.


s.penkevich Megan wrote: "DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! That book is the best."

Madre trying to do Grover's voice was my favorite part haha


message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan s.penkevich wrote: "Megan wrote: "DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! That book is the best."

Madre trying to do Grover's voice was my favorite part haha"


That was the best part about Madre reading kid's books in general haha. That picture makes me realize how much she has grown already she's so tiny there :) Doesn't the sequel have Elmo in it?


message 13: by Sean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sean DeLauder This takes me WAY back.


message 14: by Garima (new)

Garima s.penkevich wrote: "Garima wrote: "I'll be honest..I didn't read your review...A big like for your daughter's picture..and of course..Awwww! :)"

Thanks, that's actually like 6 months ago so she looks so young and tin..."


I am actually making a list of kids books for my nephew, he has turned one year old recently and Kudos to Goodreads for these wonderful recommendations. And Yes! I understand your point about putting up your daughter's pic nevertheless it's complimenting this review :)


message 15: by Melki (last edited Oct 22, 2012 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melki Both my boys LOVED this book. The youngest one would literally begin vibrating with excitement as that last page drew nearer and nearer.


message 16: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Scott wrote: "I think I had the one you're talking about too, Mark. I believe it was this album."

That one looks very familiar. The 10th Anniversary Album looks very familiar too, but surely it wasn't that one. Says it was a limited edition. The set I had also had "Would You Like to Buy an O?" which was kinda creepy.

Have you guys read the story of Darling Dora? To this day, some 30 years later, my sis and I still quote lines from that story!


message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha Your daughter is darling!


message 18: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma Cheeses, spenx! Your review is so-so, but your daughter's beautiful--a keeper.


s.penkevich Garima wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "Garima wrote: "I'll be honest..I didn't read your review...A big like for your daughter's picture..and of course..Awwww! :)"

Thanks, that's actually like 6 months ago so she lo..."


I recommend the Sandra Boynton books, 1 is right about the perfect age for those.


s.penkevich Melki wrote: "Both my boys LOVED this book. The youngest one would literally begin vibrating with excitement as that last page drew nearer and nearer."

Nice! Good to hear, this book is so awesome. One day they will grow up to love crazy metafictional books


s.penkevich Martha wrote: "Your daughter is darling!"

Thanks, I like her ha!


s.penkevich Mike wrote: "Cheeses, spenx! Your review is so-so, but your daughter's beautiful--a keeper."

Yeah, this is a bit of a cheap, relatively useless one, more a not-so-subtle 'look at my kid!' ploy than a real review. But seriously, this book is to blame for my literary tastes.


Renee Great review. My kids love this book, especially when I read it in my Grover voice :) It is so fun to just laugh at Grover as he tries his best to stop you from turning the pages, panting and complaining about the mess you are making!

Your little one is just adorable!


message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike Puma s.penkevich wrote: "Yeah, this is a bit of a cheap, relatively useless one, more a not-so-subtle 'look at my kid!' ploy tha..."

I think I speak for the entire GR community when I say: any 'ploy' which include pics of the 'kid' will double your Likes (if not, likeability).

Your literary tastes are (mostly) impeccable.


Renee s.penkevich wrote: "Garima wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "Garima wrote: "I'll be honest..I didn't read your review...A big like for your daughter's picture..and of course..Awwww! :)"

Thanks, that's actually like 6 month..."


I second the Sandra Boynton books. We have a shelf full of them and the kids loved them when they were little. Very cute and fun especially the song books.


message 26: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten You are really showing your reviewing range with this one. My kids loved this book. Your review brought back some fond memories for me reading it with them.

There is a rumor you are going to start reviewing paranormal romances next? I know you have range, but gees.


message 27: by Hend (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hend Loved this review!especially the pic of your beautiful daughter:)

The Arabic-speaking version of Sesame Street was Iftah Ya Simsim=افتح يا سمسم= "open sesame"

:)


[Name Redacted] Grover > Elmo.

THIS IS TRUTH.


message 29: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine I have a wicked soft spot for reviews of children's books that both reflect passing-the-torch-to-future-readers efforts on the parents' parts AND come with some pretty adorable photographic evidence. Nicely done on all accounts, sir!


message 30: by Steve (new)

Steve You'll have to be sure that adorable little girl gets some classic Curious George, too, don't you think?


message 31: by Garima (new)

Garima s.penkevich wrote: "I recommend the Sandra Boynton books, 1 is right about the perfect age for those.
..."


Thanks! Shall buy them right away.


message 32: by Vilma (last edited Oct 23, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Vilma I need some warning or smth when I do need to turn-off my ad-block, I´ll always miss the pictures, normally I dont mind not seeing any but those are so cool.

And your little one is really an adorable monster-cutie :)


s.penkevich Steve wrote: "You'll have to be sure that adorable little girl gets some classic Curious George, too, don't you think?"

In fact, we just read Curious George goes to the Library last night!


s.penkevich Vilma wrote: "I need some warning or smth when I do need to turn-off my ad-block, I´ll always miss the pictures, normally I dont mind not seeing any but those are so cool.

And your little one is really an ador..."


Thank you. I'm trying to train her to be a big book reader someday ha


s.penkevich Ian wrote: "Grover > Elmo.

THIS IS TRUTH."


Truth!


s.penkevich Hend wrote: "Loved this review!especially the pic of your beautiful daughter:)

The Arabic-speaking version of Sesame Street was Iftah Ya Simsim=افتح يا سمسم= "open sesame"

:)"


Awesome. I'm going to go look up the theme song for that version now ha. Open Sesame, that works quite well.


s.penkevich Jeffrey wrote: "You are really showing your reviewing range with this one. My kids loved this book. Your review brought back some fond memories for me reading it with them.

There is a rumor you are going to star..."


haha thank you, I've always said I'm waiting for the robot romance craze to hit so I can review them ('T8942 do you love me?' 'affirmative' - it will be terrible(ly awesome).


s.penkevich Renee wrote: "Great review. My kids love this book, especially when I read it in my Grover voice :) It is so fun to just laugh at Grover as he tries his best to stop you from turning the pages, panting and comp..."

Sounds like you are already showing your kids the path to great books! I always attempt the Grover voice, but halfway through my throat is strained and dry and it turns more into terrifying croaking haha. And yea, those Boynton song books are awesome. I've caught myself whistling 'Personal Penguin' at work a few times.


Jonathan s.penkevich wrote: "This book was my childhood favorite. I think it was why I now love metafiction so much haha"

Oh I remember this book. The Muppets and Sesame Street were still so good back when I was a kid...I've seen a few shows now and it's so PC.


s.penkevich Jonathan wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "This book was my childhood favorite. I think it was why I now love metafiction so much haha"

Oh I remember this book. The Muppets and Sesame Street were still so good back when..."


I agree. I started to feel disappointed right of the bat when they sing the theme song differently.


s.penkevich Scott wrote: "s.penkevich wrote: "haha thank you, I've always said I'm waiting for the robot romance craze to hit so I can review them ('T8942 do you love me?' 'affirmative' - it will be terrible(ly awesome). "
..."


Oh yea! That's where the computer writes him love poetry right? That was a good one. Sad though. Great collection, I think I like it better than his books even. The newest posthumous one was pretty solid as well.


message 42: by Chris (last edited Oct 24, 2012 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris This is a great book. I loved it as a kid and my kids love it today. Another great "meta" kids book is We are in a Book! by Mo Willems. It is from the great Elephant and Piggie series. In this story, the two heroes realize that they are in a book and that a reader is actually reading what they are doing. Hilarity ensues.


message 43: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana I'd forgotten all about this book! It was a staple of my childhood as well. Thx for the reminder!


s.penkevich oriana wrote: "I'd forgotten all about this book! It was a staple of my childhood as well. Thx for the reminder!"

This is one everyone should pull out to at least flip through and remember at some point in their life haha. It's kiddy metafiction at its finest.


s.penkevich Chris wrote: "This is a great book. I loved it as a kid and my kids love it today. Another great "meta" kids book is We are in a Book! by Mo Willems. It is from the great Elephant and Piggie series. In this ..."

Oh nice, my daughter and I have just started getting into the Mo Willems books, I'll be sure to find that one then. Right now we have Don't Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus and Invited to the Party but need more since she loves the Elephant character. Thanks for the recommendation!


message 46: by Chris (last edited Oct 24, 2012 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris While you're looking for Willems books, my boys love Can I Play Too? which isn't meta or anything but has a snake trying to play catch with the elephant and the pig and things don't go well at first because of his lack of arms. That book gets lots of belly laughs from them.


s.penkevich Chris wrote: "While you're looking for Willems books, my boys love Can I Play Too? which isn't meta or anything but has a snake trying to play catch with the elephant and the pig and things don't go well at firs..."

It's time I take another trip to the library haha


message 48: by Garima (new)

Garima 42 votes! You better treat your Daughter with some great Christmas presents Mister. I can see she is a born Good reader ;)


s.penkevich Garima wrote: "42 votes! You better treat your Daughter with some great Christmas presents Mister. I can see she is a born Good reader ;)"

Haha oh I will. Already have a few hiding in the closet. Wow, 42 is a lot, especially since I sort of just shamelessly threw this up just to declare my nerdy love for books of childhoods past.


Sentimental Surrealist Ah, the first step on the road that led me to Lost in the Funhouse and Pale Fire.


back to top