Nena's Reviews > Valley of the Dolls

281988
Feb 26, 09

liked it
Read in January, 2009

This is a good book, simple, easy, and nostalgic. It was emotionally difficult to read sometimes because I knew what was going to happen to Neely and Jennifer (I know an awful lot about Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe), but I hoped for a happy ending with Anne. Didn't get it. So, I read the entire book to find out that this isn't a book I would have wanted to read, simply because I don't care for stories where nothing good ever happens. But it was well done. One read was enough.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valley of the Dolls.

Ellen I enjoyed this one. Waaaay over the top crazy cheeseball soap-opera action.

Bevin I really had a great time reading it too. It is not a feel good book, but I don't really require that. Personally, I loved what happened to Anne in the end. Is that wrong? Probably.

message 3: by Nena (last edited Feb 26, 2009 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nena Bevin wrote: "I really had a great time reading it too. It is not a feel good book, but I don't really require that. Personally, I loved what happened to Anne in the end. Is that wrong? Probably."

It's not that it has to be a "feel good" book for me to enjoy, I just don't believe that 'all bad' or 'all good' is realistic. Life doesn't work like that. All good is sappy, all bad is hopeless, and both extremes are closed minded. Plus, I'm just not into gossip and watching people self-destruct.

Bevin There were moments of happiness! It just didn't end on a happy note and, depressing as that may be, that is more realistic then the happily ever after bullshit we get served in "chick lit" today. I thought it a welcome change.

Nena Drug addiction, female oppression, cheating, and betrayal are all very unhappy things to me, and I have enough unhappiness in my life. I read books to escape that pain. I at least want the *hint* of hope, even if it doesn't end well. I mean, the marriage didn't have to work out- fine- but couldn't she have decided to live for her children? Did she have to decide to become a drug addict trapped in a loveless marriage? Geez. Depressing.
I also don't like "chick lit" or chick movies or chick talk shows or any of that smile-until-your-face-hurts, pastels and butterflies crap. I like the in-between, where real people live. :)