Sonya's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Dec 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from November 04 to December 02, 2012

More like 3.5, but worth rounding up.

Madcap, clever use of fragmented documentation into narrative. Enjoyable novel with a few bumps along the way.
****
I went for a walk today and started listening to this novel and as I walked along, all I could think about is the time when the lady I shared carpool with asked me when I was going to buy a minivan so I could carry more kids and when I said I wasn't, she fired me from carpool. A couple of years later, she was distressed by the woman who was in charge of our kids' charter school newsletter and when I expressed mild interest, she set up an interview with me at Starbucks, feverishly writing down my master's degree and even my college degree in English as qualifiers that would allow her to oust the other woman and put me in. This little coup made her feel good and me feel queasy, magnified every time I edited the newsletter columns and carefully laid the whole thing out in InDesign. Did a charter school need its weekly newsletter designed in InDesign? I'd say no. But I had volunteer hours to fill. And the lady in charge of my destiny year after year enjoyed her power, as crazy as it all sounds now.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

Kristi So your review totally makes me want to read this book even though it's not really about the book :)

Sonya So far, it's a lot of fun. I think you might relate too. (The actress who reads the audio version is really good.)

Sonya Kristi, you probably are already using this, but did you know there is an app for audible? I just found it; what an improvment to itunes listening. Here's a link about its features: http://www.itsonelife.com/2011/04/25/...

Kristi I do have the app but I've been using iTunes! Will definitely use the app for my next audiobook.

Julie I got this Audible book on a whim. I absolutely adored it. The Audible app has a few kinks, but I've been using it daily as long as it's been available.

Sonya Julie, I'm really enjoying it the book so far.