Ellen's Reviews > The Diviners

Oct 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ya-books-i-liked
Read in October, 2012

I think that Libba Bray is on to something with this first book in a planned series. I especially like the time period in which this story is set: mid-1920's before the Crash. There are lots of references to the time period with flappers, slang and the problems in Harlem with bootleggers, numbers runners, jazz clubs and the color line. I do take exception to Ms. Bray's fictionalization of a real religion: the Church of the Brethren, which she makes into a demonic cult more than a religion. Since this is a real church, I wish she'd not used that name, but that's just me. A group of teenagers and young adults come together seemingly by accident to fight a looming, menace from another time and place with their special powers. We watch Evie (charmingling nicknamed "Evil" because of the trouble she seems to get into), Jericho, Theta, Memphis and Memphis' little brother, Isaiah as they deal with their special powers and become aware of each other. Real evil abounds in the form of adults around them: Blind Bill and Sister Walker, Miss Addie and her sister and maybe Sam Lloyd and his mysterious power. All very interesting characters being mixed in interesting ways. I am hoping the next book will be as good as the first!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.