Jeremy's Reviews > The First Men in the Moon

The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells

M 50x66
Jan 22, 2009

Read in January, 2009

Like many of the H. G. Wells books that I have read, I really liked this one. Not so much because of the prose this time, but because of the character Cavor. He is impulsive, single-minded to his one purpose, and doesn't react practically. He flails his arms when excited, and has multiple repetitive mannerisms. In short, he has classic examples of Asperger's Syndrome, or would at least be diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum.

The story was well paced, until Wells covers the adventures Cavor broadcasts back to the Earth from the Moon. By that time I was ready for the book to come to an end. But the nice thing is the flawed main character, who reveals his flaws quite willingly.

Of course, the invention of Cavorite would be a welcome substance for flight, if it could be controlled properly. Perhaps one day his formula will be discovered, and propulsion by anti-gravity could become a reality. The science and reasoning that comes from Wells' books all take you to the edge of what is possible, and almost convinces you of the reality that could be reached. That is the true strength of Victorian Science-Fiction.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Men in the Moon.