Miriam's Reviews > The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

May 29, 2014

bookshelves: favorite, adventure, fantasy, parallel-dimensions
Read in June, 1987 , read count: 3

I read the entire original series (the second series with Merle had not yet been published) over the summer before sixth grade. My parents had the Chronicles in two hardbound volumes, minus the dustjackets, so I had no idea what they were about when I started reading. It is very interesting to read them this way, with no warning that what seems to be a mysterious but mundane situation is going to transmute into a world-bending fantasy. This makes the reactions of the amnesiac protagonist much more resonant: like Corwin, the reader is unprepared to suddenly leave known reality behind.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Amber.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent I'm thinking about re-reading these in 2012 after you recommended Nine Princes in Amber to Daniel.

Miriam I read them several times when I was in my teens -- it definitely helped to know more canonical lit! I totally missed most of the allusions when I was 11. I'll probably reread them eventually, but I want to read other books of Zelazny's that I haven't read before first.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori I wonder, what allusions are you thinking about? *wonders if I missed a whole bunch*