Christina White's Reviews > Shadow of Night

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Nov 07, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-fantasy, love-stories, historical-fiction
Read from October 22 to November 07, 2012

The second book in the All Souls series wasn't as good as the first book. I enjoyed it because I was already attached to the characters from reading about them in A Discovery of Witches. I loved all of the details Deborah Harkness put into the novel that transported her readers effortlessly into the past. In the beginning the massive amount of new characters was overwhelming, but since most of them were historical icons it was easy to keep up with them. This story introduced too many minor plots that took me away from what I was most interested in and I started to lose patience half way through. A little anxious anticipation is good, but this book just dragged on and on and I found myself wanting it to end. I can't believe after almost 11,000 pages we STILL don't know what is inside Ashmole 782! I need a little resolution in my series, I don't want to read 2000 pages of the same unsolved mystery. Life is too short. I probably won't read the third book when it comes out. I'm on the hunt for my next 5 star read, and I don't think it's going to be the third book in the All Souls series.

Character Casting:

Diana: Kate Beckinsale

Matthew: Gerard Butler
Gerard Butler

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of Night.

3.0% "I just started this and I alread love it! (clapping my hands I am so excited!)"
7.0% "I loooooooooooove this! I can't believe I have to wait till next summer for the last book :(.. must read slower... lol" 3 comments
12.0% "I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the characters.. might be a bit too many." 5 comments
18.0% "What is Matthew's problem? I don't like the old Matthew very much..." 3 comments
30.0% "I'm ready for Diana to develope her powers already!"
45.0% "I really want her to develop her powers already!"
65.0% "Why do I love Vampires so much? LOL"
95.0% "I'm glad this is almost over.. I think Harkness was a little long winded in this one."
show 1 hidden update…

dinib Really? You would really not finish the series? I read once you like plot lines when it is all about the chase. I didn't like Matthew and Diana's relationship in this book as much. I think they are back on the right path and we will get to read more about it in the last book.

message 2: by Christina (last edited Nov 07, 2012 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christina White dinib wrote: "Really? You would really not finish the series? I read once you like plot lines when it is all about the chase. I didn't like Matthew and Diana's relationship in this book as much. I think they..."

I just don't think it's going to be amazing.... and I only want to read amazing books... :)

I lost interest in the relationship between Diana and Matthew and the plot isn't very strong. Near the end of the second book I couldn't even remember what the real problem was..

Could we still possibly be reading about unlocking the secrets of a secret manuscript after 11,000 pages??.. Oh yes.. we are. :/

I just don't care if they ever find the book anymore.. lol.. I cared and cared and cared.. and then the author just lost me.

I like it when series have resolutions to plots with in themselves and just continue on with the characters lives or the next step in the plot.

From book one we were trying to get our hands on the magical manuscript.. and we still don't freaking have it!

message 3: by Krys (new) - added it

Krys That's kind of what I thought would happen with this one. I felt the same way you do about this book but at the end of DoW, and since I am not big on time travel plots I decided to give up. Glad to see my instincts were correct. I would have been just as annoyed as you are.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read so much of this series that I will finish the series, I'm too curious. This is one reason I don't like series writing.

Christina White my reading partner Kimberly didn't really want to finish the series either.. I should have listened! lol.. I just loved the first book so much! But I feel like I wasted so much time on this 3 star read.

Dara Hmmm... I actually liked this one better than Discovery. I loved all the details of Elizabethan England, learning more about Matthew's past, and following Diana's journey as she uncovers more about her powers.