Kaylam2012's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

U 50x66
Jan 22, 09

read count: 1

New and Old

Have you ever read a book that was the same old same old, but still brought something new to the table? Well, the story “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain does just that. For this reason I have two different opinions about this book, those opinions are good and bad. The fact that this book is something I can see on the news is one reason why I despise it. The conflict between man verses man, doesn’t really seem realistic to me. On the contrary, I admire this book. It shows both sides of the fence, and eliminates the idea that the grass is greener on the other side.

For starters, one reasons I absolutely loath this book is because it repeats or restates things that are happening today in the present. In the story Huck joins a gang, like Tom proposes. “Now we’ll start this of robbers and call it Tom Sawyers Gang.”, there are actual gangs in the real world too. The difference between Huck’s gang and the gangs in my neighborhood is that the gangs in my neighborhood really do kill and rob people. The violence in the story is nothing compared to the violence in my everyday life. If I watched the news right now, I can guarantee someone is dead do to violence. When Buck got shot in the story, it wasn’t anything new to my normal life. I know people who got shot; I hear people shooting at each other all the time. I hear gun shots so much, I can tell the difference between a gunshot and a fire cracker. This story brings nothing new to my table called “life”.

The following reason is the resolution to the conflict irritates me. What conflict bothers you? The conflict between Huck and his father, Pap, annoys me to no end. In the story Huck’s father was abusive, neglected and jealous, of and to Huck, but that is not what seems unrealistic to me. “I slipped the ramrod it to make sure it was loaded and then I laid it across the trans barrel, pointing towards pap, and set down behind it to wait for him to stir.”, at this exact moment Huck had the chance to kill his father, but didn’t take it. Any real person would have shot their father if their father was like Pap. I mean, Huck had a chance to get revenge for what his father did to him, and didn’t take it. His father even tried to kill Huck, but Huck still didn’t shoot him. If that was a real person, they would have got their revenge; all people want revenge when someone hurts them. That is why I feel that this story is a bit unrealistic to how people really behave.

The only reason why I actually like this book is for what this books shows. Many stories do not show both sides of the fence like “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain, does. All I can say while reading this story is “WOW! This author must have been really opened minded while writing this story”. This story proves to be very revealing of how people think and how guilt affects people’s actions. The perfect example is the relationship between Jim and Huck was more of a guilt, then love and compassion. “I got a feeling to mean and miserable I most wished I was dead” Huck said, when he was between a rock and a hard place. Huck believed that freeing a slave was wrong, but Jim made Huck feel guilty by saying he was a great man for freeing Jim. This story shows the two total opposites clashing and cladding all the time. These opposites are not something everyone wrote about back then. By doing this Mark Twain brings something totally new to the table of literature.

Well, that is all I have to say about “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain. The story makes me feel like I already been there and done that before. The conflict between Huck and Pap seems fairy tale like to me. Even with all this said I still have to admit, the story still brings fresh splash of ice tea to my glass of boring water. Remember if you want to read a story that fuels your boredom, but at the same time gives you something new, read “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain. You will only be half asleep reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Hannah Yes Huck's father was abusive and dangerous, but it's not unrealistic at all that he didn't shoot Pap when he had the chance. Like it or not, Huck knows he doesn't have the heart to shoot his own father, so he runs away. It's not unrealistic to think that a 12 year old boy wouldn't be able to take shooting his own father. There's still a bond there, and it shows that Huck has a conscious.