an nhu's Reviews > The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

11926525
Jan 09, 13

Great great story. I am just glad i read this book. It is fun to sneak peek into an Indian's life. The funny thing is that was so naïve I seriously thought Indians were the ones from India. How ignorant i was of the world! And that is why i love this story even more. I get to know a new people whom I just merely see on TV for once or twice.

During the course of reading this book, i periodically get the vibe from " Catcher in the Rye". The two are different, yet somehow the narrative style is somewhat similar. They both depict the inner voice of the characters, what they truly truly think. In this story, Junior lives in Spokane, which is a Reservation for the Indian and he chooses to study at Reardan - place with White people. And with this choice, he called him self " part time indian" . He lives two lives : pretend to be not poor in Reardan while goes through hardship with family losses and suffer from the rumors fin his own home. He is literally an outcast. Though of course that changes over the course of the story.

I think Junior should be deemed a hero. He, without using any super power whatsoever, shortens the gap between two People. Actually, there should never been a bridge between human being, or even labels such as " the Indian" or the " White people" but maybe because people keep repeating those labels so so much that eventually there appear to be Indian with kinda red skin and the White folks with of course white skin@@Worse there come these groups who discriminate the people who should be our brothers, our friends: the Racist. It is just sad how those tiny words turn people into " the labelled". It's like: you are not tall but when your friend keeps telling you you are tall all the time ( and i mean All the time), you are going to get a little bit taller!? Funny, isn't it. But true!

Back to Junior! Well, he is just himself, being good to other people, being himself ,no, it should be being the Best of himself, save himself and ultimately his friends from turning into " the labelled" . It is easy to say yet it must be a struggle for Junior to live two lives in two such different places. He is depressed. How on earth would a son of " the loser Indian father" live "in a world built for winners." Little does he know that those " winners" are only humans. They have feelings, they are good people too. And later on, having been helped by his schoolmates, he realized that "If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing." Eventually, the barrier between Junior and his friends fade away. He become " half white". And another problem appears.

His best friend, Rowdy, used to be shortsighted (figuratively, natürlich). He does not want to leave the Rez, to break free of the Mold people have created for him and his Tribe. He remains Junior's best friend even though the tribe people call Junior a " Traitor" . He stays as Junior's best friend in silent. I really like Rowdy. He is this kind of guy who likes to use his fists and give kicks and such and may get really violent but when it comes to his best friend, he is the most forgiving and tolerance guy ever. They are such good friends that even how long they have not talked, the moment they open their hearts to each other, things just fall right into its places . yes, there are times when Rowdy blames Junior for his family's problems but in the end, he still turns to Junior. It is funny to realize that there are some bonds we can not break. Maybe the bond is with your parents and sometimes it is with the person who stays by your side silently for all the ups and downs. I would be a privilege to have a friend with similar traits to Rowdy ( minus the violent part!) and yes, i would love stay friend with that person for a lifetime.

Oh and one more thing. Parents. And. Future parents (lol) should read this story. It is a parent guide underneath all the diary part. How they dreamt of a better future for their kids, how his drunk dad tells him not to be afraid of the "White people" when he first starts at Rearden. Yes, drunk parents are still parents. And parents still care the most for their children no matter how old or how big they are.

"Yeah, Dad is a drunk and Mom is an ex-drunk, but they don't want their kids to be drunks."

"I realize that my folks are pretty good. Sure, my dad has a drinking problem and my mom can be i little eccentric, but they make sacrifices for me. They worry about me. They talk to me. And best of all, they listen to me.

I've learned that the worst thing a parent can do is ignore their children."

"But despite the fact that Reardan is a tiny town, people can still be strangers to each other.

I've learned that white people, especially fathers, are good at hiding in plain sight.

I mean, yeah, my dad would sometimes go on a drinking binge and be gone for a week,

but those white dads can completely disappear without ever leaving the living room. They can just BLEND into their chairs. They become the chairs.

So, okay, I'm not all goofy-eyed in love with white people all right? Plenty of the old white guys still give me the stink eye just for being Indian. And a lot of them think I shouldn't be in the school at all."
1 like · likeflag

Quotes an Liked

Sherman Alexie
“If you let people into your life a little bit, they can be pretty damn amazing.”

Sherman Alexie
“Poverty doesn’t give you strength or teach you lessons about perseverance. No, poverty only teaches you how to be poor.”

Sherman Alexie
“I realized that I might be a lonely Indian boy, but I was not alone in the loneliness. There were millions of other Americans who had left their birthplaces in search of a dream. (217)”