Leah Lumsden's Reviews > The Protector's War

The Protector's War by S.M. Stirling

1918527
Jan 22, 09

Read in March, 2008

Love love love this book. First one I read by this author. Now I have a bunch of his stuff. It takes place several years after the world went to sh*t (see my review of the first book for more details) The people who have survived in the cities are basically warlords who have survived off the hardwork and misery of others. They are expanding as all people with power are prone to do. There are several storylines (characters) that this book follows. Strong real female characters who arent simpering, useless or oversexualized. Nice change for me to read about. The men are real too, they arent all brave cowboys with no flaws and huge... assets. Or maybe they do.. its not a picture book tho;) Anyway, the groups or 'clans' as they are aptly named have been living off the land for several years now. Made up of gunsmiths, historians (comes in handy), vetrinarians, midwives, pharmacists, farmers, etc. If you have a skill thats useful, great. If you dont you'll soon learn one. Alot of the stuff that survived from the world before is now running low or broken and not able to be repaired. People are slowly but surely (and in the case of two clans) are doing very well living off the land and doing it the old fashioned way. The book ends on the cusp of war because the warlords from the neighboring cities are tryign to expand their territory and the two large clans will have none of it. Great read! I was sad when the book ended and hungry for more. That doesnt often happen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Protector's War.