Sara Ahmed's Reviews > The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Oct 30, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from October 21 to 29, 2012

I give this book a solid 5/5.

The insanity of how good it was really cannot be described. If you dont have this on your TBR, put it asap. I started this book a couple of days ago but never actually had the time to more than a few chapters at a time due to work, applications and my busy life. However, Hurricane Sandy came to visit and gave me the chance to sit down and get to reading.

I literally blocked the world out when I began to get really into this book. To the point where I didnt hear the huge oak in my neighbors yard fall down.

Anyways. Back to the book. INSANITY. INSANITY. INSANITY. And not just because its called the Madman's daughter.

Let me tell you a little bit about the book. It is set back in old London, when times were proper and girls swooned. Juliet is the daughter of the most respected surgeon in London. Or was the most respected surgeon. He is labeled a 'madman' because he does 'vivisection', operating on animals while they're still alive. This is frowned upon and is considered cruelty. He is banned from society and leaves home without Juliet and her mother taking only their servant boy with them.

Juliet loses her mother and is on her own. The story goes from there, when she finds her fathers servant boy, Montgomery, and demands that he takes her back to his father on the secluded island where is located. There she sees the life her father has built for himself and learns whether he really was the madman the London society has claimed him to be. She meets Edward Prince on a boat and there are so many secrets that she slowly unravels with her stay.

Nothing is how she remembers it yet its exactly the same. She learns to open her eyes and accept the truth while torn between two men who vie for attention. Juliet grows as a character and you become compassionate and sympathetic to what she is going through and the choices she is forced to make.

You learn to love both Montgomery and Edward and wish nothing but the best for the both of them.

This story wasnt at all what I expected. I thought I would be reading a historical fiction story and I did but with so much more added to it. Even the science in the story was very easy to follow!

The characters were built amazingly and you watched them grow.

The plot pulled you in and keep your eyes scanning ready to devour more. Life on the island is NOT what most would expect.

And dont even get me started on the twists and turns. Whenever I settled into a part that something was happening and accepted it, WHAM, out of nowhere came this twist, and i'm just like OMG OMG OMG. There was no knowing what would happen next. Down to the last page, literally. You had no idea what to expect. But it was done in such a way that you enjoyed it immensely! I would def recommend this to anyone looking for an exceptional stand alone book!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madman's Daughter.

10/23/2012 page 13
10/23/2012 "One chapter in and I can already tell its going to be a good book!"
10/24/2012 page 76
20.0% "Historical contemporary, I'm lovin it!"
show 1 hidden update…