Caroline's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Oct 21, 12

bookshelves: series
Read in October, 2012

When I first read 'Case Histories', I didn't think this would turn into a series but I'm so glad it has.

As with others in the series, Jackson Brodie continues on his self-reflective journey. This time, he rescues an abused dog and, dog in tow, he searches for the biological parents of Hope McMasters, a search that seems hopeless as clues as to their whereabouts and even her adoption, continue to be elusive.

Tracey Waterhouse, a retired detective, now in charge of security at a mall, sees a repeat drug offender dragging a young child and makes a sudden decision that has consequences she could not have foreseen.

There is so much complexity in this novel I found it difficult to put down because I was afraid I'd lose track of the many different characters. Atkinson's ability to bring seemingly different stories together is sheer genius. Like the spokes of a bicycle, what started out separately gradually begin to mesh and narrow before finally culminating in a dense and twisted center. Events that seemed random emerge later with brilliant relevance.

I think this is my favorite of the series so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.