Jesse's Reviews > The New Kings of Nonfiction

Feb 02, 09

bookshelves: while-living-in-japan
Recommended to Jesse by: Stephanie B
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

since I've started finally listening to This Americna Life, I've fallen in love with nonfiction and Ira Glass. Or maybe just Ira Glass and the stories he and people he finds present. I really enjoyed this book, and almost all of the essays in it.

It may be called The New Kings of Nonfiction. However, I'm not entirely sure that is entirely accurate because some of these essays are atleast 15 years old or older, and thats from the time this book was published, not just when I read it. But, non the less, I enjoyed most of them. The one I was surprised I didn't enjoy the most was the one about the discovery of the artist Shapinsky. I felt the it suffered some of the same negative qualities the author described one of the key characters in his story. Otherwise I was generally amused and interesting in what the several authors talked about in their works.

My favorites were:
"Losing the War" Lee Sandlin
"The Hostess Diaries: My Year At A Hot Spot" Coco Henson Scales
"My Republican Journey" Dan Savage
"Power Steer" Michael Pollan

I realize that is more than half of the works in this collection, but I really enjoyed them for some of the things the author has offered through them. Even though they range from being very serious to wonderfully amusing. I really liked this book. I think it would also be one of the few things I would enjoy listening to through Audio Book if they were read by the authors themselves since they are all so very narrative in nature, even if they are works of nonfiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Kings of Nonfiction.

01/21/2009 page 144