BookHookup's Reviews > My Favorite Mistake

My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

Oct 21, 12

Christina, Amy, and Ana all read and reviewed this title. Their original review can be found HERE at The Book Hookup.

Our Review:

**Note:** Amy, Christina, and Ana were provided e-ARCs of this title from the author for this blog tour. However, that did not influence their review in any way.

Ana: I enjoyed this book. The banter between the characters, Taylor and Hunter was quick and witty, the romance smoldered and the relationship’s slow build made it interesting. Taylor’s inner dialogue was fun to read…especially when she was “speaking” to Hunter in her head. The secondary characters added levity and were such fierce friends that you couldn’t help but love them. The support they provided, especially to Taylor when she needed it, was heartwarming. Of course, Hunter was dreamy. His quick wit and smart-mouth attitude kept me turning the pages…I was always interested to see what remark he’d make next. And, even though he’s described as a potential “bad boy” complete with tattoos, a deep dark secret and a nasty temper, deep down he’s a softy when it comes to his girl. A truly swoonworthy leading man. Now, I did have a bit of an issue with Taylor. I couldn’t quite connect with her anger issues. I understand that she’s been through a lot in her life but, to quote a movie I once saw, her mood swings gave me whiplash. At times her reactions felt a bit too extreme and if I was Hunter I would have sent her packing. But, then again, love overlooks things like that. The ending was exactly what I was hoping for…and it put a smile on my face! Overall, it was worth the read.

Amy: I had a little bit of difficulty getting into this book.. because of Taylor. There’s a secret she has been harboring for years, a secret that has hardened her heart and made her pretty harsh and indifferent towards men. I can understand the reasoning behind her cold ways, but kind of wished I knew more of her story earlier on.. maybe I could have empathized with her a bit more. Now Hunter on the other hand, was the perfect balance of sexy, tatted bad boy and a surprisingly caring and concerned and lovable kind of guy. From the moment Taylor opened her door and found this totally swoonworthy guy standing on her porch with guitar in hand, I was hooked! Although Hunter was battling his own demons as well, he didn’t let that stop him from getting what he wanted. The banter between these two was great.. funny, snarky and full of tension and the chemistry was definitely there. Chelsea’s writing style was smooth and easy to read and even though I found Taylor overwhelming and hard to relate to, I still thought it was a good book.

Christina: This book ranked in as a solid 3.5 for me, but I was able to boost the rating because of Hunter. To echo the other Litbrarians, he was a fantastic hero to our challenging heroine. But above the effortless swoons provided by him, I can honestly say the book was made better because of the secondary characters- Taylor’s best friends and family as well as Hunter’s friends, family, and his cousin, Mason, in particular. I really loved them all and they were probably one of the best supporting cast I’ve read in a book in a good long while. In their own way, they each brought about the comedic relief and a bit of tenderness that I thought the book required, seeing as Taylor was a constant state of emotional heaviness in the book. This brings me to Taylor and my chief complaint with the book. God love her and her struggles with a tragic event that altered her life, but that girl was all over the place. I get the turmoil and how her situation- to put it lightly- can innately alter your behavior, but it was the extremeness in how she reacted so frequently that made me less-than-lukewarm towards her character. All in all, it was a quick read- a touch heavy on the angsty side- and I enjoyed the slow build to their relationship and the torturous, addictive UST that came with it.

To end this review, I’ll give you one of the highlights that I enjoyed in the book. Linked to the bet, each night Hunter would question Taylor’s feelings for him. It became a part of their routine, but her answers showed the evolution of their relationship.

“Goodnight, Hunter.” I somehow got myself back into bed. He stood there for a moment before sighing and going to his own bed.

“Love me?” He whispered as he tossed his boxers on the floor.

“Nope.”

“Hate me?”

“Not as much as conjugating verbs.”

“Good.”

A very special thank you to Chelsea M. Cameron and SupaGurl Tours for allowing us to be a part of this blog tour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Favorite Mistake.