Bad's Reviews > Inkdeath

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Jan 31, 2009

Read in January, 2009

wow.
I always expect to be disappointed with the final novel in a series... But the INKHEART trilogy continued to put it's best foot forward all the way through it's very last pages.
Now I am usually distraught when a main character isn't killed in some glorious manner for the sake of the series, but INKDEATH, somehow didn't need a monumental sacrifice to make it solid. I think Meggie's, "pushing away" of Farid, kind of filled that hole for me.

Now, lets talk about Dustfinger... O.O

I fell in love with this character through this book. I felt myself start to fall during INKSPELL, but I was 100% head over heels by the end of INDEATH. I lived to read the burning passages about the Fire-Dancer. He is one of the most beautiful and compelling characters I've ever read. If Funke made any great achievements with this series, it was in the character of Dustfinger. He leaps off of the page and pulls you into the Inkworld.

To be fair, I feel I must touch on a few other characters before wrapping up my review.

Elinor - became INCREASINGLY annoying through the series. In Inkheart she was humorous, and almost charming. But I could have reached through the book and throttled her in Inkdeath!

Resa - also became quite annoying throughout Inkdeath. I could almost say that I dislike her character after reading the third book.

Mo - Mo's transformation into the Bluejay was superb! The most beautiful scene in the whole novel was when he rode to the castle gates (escorted magnificently be Dustfinger of course), and turned himself in to save the children of Ombra.

Meggie - My attachments to Meggie never really faltered throughout the series. As a character, she had really good instincts, and would always come through when the plot became unbearably frustrating... (in the sense that the "bad guys" were to far ahead) :)

Orpheus - I wanted Orpheus to suffer a very painful, and humiliating death, in which he realized that Mo really was greater than him, but Funke did not give me such satisfaction. It's okay though. I like to think that he did INDEED freeze to death in the mountains. Or better yet, that he became the tortured plaything of a giant. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkdeath.

01/24 page 284
09/19 marked as: read

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Brenneman Ha! I like totally agree with you!!!!!