Shawna's Reviews > The Unwanted Wife

The Unwanted Wife by Natasha Anders

Jan 07, 15

bookshelves: angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, contemporary-romance, format-ebook, married-couples-married-convenience, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, pov-first-person, unrequited-love-crush, i-read-kindle, kindle, 2012-reads, 4-to-5-stars, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, editing-nightmare, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, hero-alpha, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, hero-good-groveling-eating-crow, hero-or-heroine-italian, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-uber-alpha-domineering, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-pissed-me-off-and-turned-me-on, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-makeover, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, heroine-redhead, heroine-ridiculed-unpopular-teased, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-wishy-washy-whiplash-award, heroine-doormat-spineless-weak, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-famous-celebrity, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, steam-2-warm, hero-or-heroine-exotic, hero-i-disliked-much-of-the-book, heroine-self-esteem-issues, hero-just-get-over-yourself, hero-cocky-conceited-arrogant-ego, heroine-weak-forgives-too-easily, hero-i-despised-hated, hero-wtf-does-heroine-see-in-him
Recommended for: Fans of uber angsty romances
Read on October 21, 2012

4 ½ stars – Contemporary Romance

This really sucked me in and I neglected all kinds of household tasks to finish it in nearly one sitting. It’s a great read with lots of melodrama and angst that makes for an addictive, fast-paced romance. It reminded me of a very well done Harlequin romance. There were some editing errors, and I got confused when the heroine suddenly developed red hair to match her fiery temper when I could have sworn at one point earlier in the book she was described as being a blonde. But those minor missteps didn’t lessen my overall enjoyment, especially considering it was only .99 cents. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for more from this author.
44 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwanted Wife.

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Nice one Shawna! Thanks for that little info about the editing "tidbit", at least I won't be scratching my head in confusion and I know exactly what to expect. :)

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Great review Shawna, and what a plus, such a great read for almost nothing!

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Great review! What a bonus when you find a book at a great price and end up loving it! :)

Victoria Great review Shawna! Funny, I didn't catch the editing error and in my mind she was always a redhead :) Nevertheless, this book was a fantastic read and I'm glad you enjoyed it, too!

Shawna Thanks Ladies! Definitely a great read for such a cheap price!

Wendy/Victoria, It's funny 'cause I started wondering if I'd just read or remembered it wrong about the part where I thought she mentioned her blonde hair once early in the book. Either way, it didn't matter to me 'cause she definitely fit as a redhead!

message 6: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Shawna! I just grabbed this and hope to read soon.

Shawna Thanks, Kat! I hope you enjoy it! You'll have to let me know when you read it so I can be sure and not miss your review! *hugs*

MelissaB Nice review Shawna! This would be a nice for those who like HPs! It's not perfect but it keeps you reading.

Shawna Thanks, Melissa! Exactly! It's an addictive guilty pleasure, despite having a few flaws.

Stephanie I thought the same thing! I could've sworn she was a blonde at the beginning? Hah

Kristen Fantastic review, Shawna! I really liked this book too. Even though the heroine end up annoying me, the hero was fabulous in the end. I'm still shocked at how redeemable he ended up being.

I, too, noticed that hair color error. I was like...wait, I thought her hair was a diffent color than red? Lol.

Shawna Benavis, I'm glad I wasn't the only one shaking my head in confusion over the blonde to red hair switcharoo! LOL!

Thanks, Kristen! I felt the exact same way about the heroine and hero. I was totally in her camp in the beginning but then she became way too frustrating and melodramatic. And I hated the uber asshat hero and thought my opinion of him couldn't possibly soften, but he definitely redeemed himself.

And yeah, the hair color change left me scratching my head saying "huh"?

But I still enjoyed it 'cause I do love me some uber angsty reads and groveling jerk heroes! LOL!

message 13: by Caroline (last edited May 12, 2013 10:56AM) (new) - added it

Caroline Very helpful review Shawna! ^^ and may I suggest that perhaps the heroine has a 'strawberry blonde' kind of hair?? you know it's blonde but still has a 'reddish tinge' in it. lol :D ;)

Shawna Thanks, Caroline! Strawberry blonde works, LOL!

Paige  Bookdragon Love your review!♥