Kelsey's Reviews > On Love

On Love by Alain de Botton

Jan 21, 09

Read in January, 2009

I just finished this book an hour ago...and I needed this book. I picked it up at the library...it wasn't even in any order, it was just lying in the wrong section...rejected. I'm not saying I felt an empathetic tug towards (Frued, get out!), but it is brightly colored, so I blame my crow like behaviour and the recent "get back together happiness" I was then experiencing. Basically, it "studies" love through a boy meet girl story with the protagonist as the well educated boy. It's wonderful! Upon reading through this book, I wanted to thank the author. To me, a good author is defined by being able to capture your emotions (and the really tough, flity ones at that) and spit them back out to you as poetry. That's what this man did for me, making me feel a little less pathethic, or at least gave me the feeling of being one of many bits of pathetic-ness sprinkled about the love denied world. (The author would pick up on that last bit of melodrama, which he does repeatidly at the protagonist's dips into selfish, romantic despair). Another greatness in this novel is how this "study" is done using classical literature all while in story mode. It has the effect of a literature class with a lab class attached...you almost experience (because it's so easy to empathize with the protagonist and the subject) what those classical authors meant. All the symbols and metaphors apply so smoothly. Excellent find.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Love.