Kristy's Reviews > A Fistful of Charms

A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

Jan 21, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book has quite a few noticeable errors in it and that is slightly annoying since they are just careless proof reading errors that should have been picked up.

I find that Ms. Harrisison often writes Rachel's ideas for runs in a very confusing mess. The goal isn't always clear which leads a reader like myself, skipping through it and then figuring it out while it's happening. There is something about the way she goes through Rachel's thoughts that just seems like she's struggling and hurrying along to fill up space while getting to the next page. Is there a page requirement??

In this book in particular, we've gotten to the point where we know that Ivy and Rachel's relationship is strained because the two women show their love and affection for each other in different ways. Okay we get that already! Move on from that supporting plot line because it's redundant in every.single.book! Also how many times does Rachel need to talk about Jenk's looks? I could probably count at least 20 times of him being described by Rachel but in the same way. It's overkill in the extreme.

This book went back to the struggle that the first two seemed to have, which is following plot. It seems like the plot is there and it's a decently mapped out plot line and then she just doesn't follow it. It gets mixed up with a bunch of other ideas and subplots and as a reader I get lost and bored because you're reading idle filler to just back to the original plot. We don't need so many fillers in these stories. The basis for these books keeps getting sidetracked with a lot of uninteresting emotional baggage with the same people over and over and it's never resolved. I guess if we resolved the Ivy issue, I'd feel better about that added depth to the story but it's repetitive and I've reached my limit with thinking it's adding to the plot. Move on already! I have a feeling the next two books will be more of the same. I hope I'm wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fistful of Charms.

Marianna I agree~